or Connect

Posts by scribblerkate

cortsmommy, it's not you! I've tried that Trader Joe's brand, and I didn't like it, either. Yucky texture and flavor. If you really want to switch, keep trying different brands until you find one you like. They are out there! (Also, try different grains to see if you like any of those.)
You followed a similar route to vegetarianism that I did. I still eat seafood on the rare occasion, mainly when there's nothing else on the menu. I agree with you about substituting veggie "fake" stuff for real meat stuff. I never understood that and don't eat soy cheese, tofu dogs, etc. I do rarely eat veggie burgers (esp when that's the only alternative), but if I'm doing something like that at home I prefer it to be a portobella mushroom or homemade veggie...
I use regular spice jars -- well, they're wide-mouth from the local spice store. The excess I store in the freezer, which I've heard helps herbs and spices retain their flavor better and for much longer. If it sits in the glass jars too long, its starts to lose its "oomph". We do have some different sized jars (again, from the local store) so that for things we use a lot, we have a larger amount in the jar (less refilling) and for things we don't use much we have a...
(double post)
Thanks for the info. I guess I should have remembered what chalk is, but my memory has tanked recently. So now I have to wonder about the pigments -- which, when you mentioned it, I did have some vague recall about lead and pigments but it is *very* vague. But, crayons and many children's paints are often labeled non-toxic, which to me means no lead. So why would we all of a sudden run into problems with chalk?
Well, like I said, my comments weren't intended to address specific relationships that had already been mentioned in this thread. And I was specifically thinking of you when I wrote that disclaimer. I am not saying men need prompting. Hardly -- that thought makes me quite angry. I am saying some men are actively encouraged *not* to not participate. Not all men. Not even most. Some. And, of course, it's a lot more complex than that, but I already wrote a long...
[Just offering some thoughts. Not implying at all that they apply to any of the posters here, whose situations I do not and cannot personally know.] There are so many different models of parenthood -- for fathers and mothers -- that it isn't fair to stereotype. I daresay that when we become parents most of us discover more about ourselves, and our partners, than we ever knew was still there to be discovered. Having said that, I also want to follow up on the...
Well, I am not sure where to put this so I'll try here. With two chalk recalls in the past few weeks, both due to high lead recalls, I am wondering about the safety of chalk generally. Does anyone know? I mean, does all chalk contain some amount of lead? If not, how did the lead get into the recalled chalk? Sigh, yet another thing I didn't know we had to worry about -- and now have to research. Thanks for any insight!
Faith, I respect your choices and the hard work you have put in to make sure they work. But it is not right or fair to say: Quote: I just think if I can make it on $8 when I had to, and still have a house and food and clothes and trips to the zoo, etc, that anybody can do it I don't know where you live, but I do know where becca29 lives, and that kind of money really would not work. You'll just have to trust me on that one. If I was making $8...
Great to hear about everyone's gardens! Can't wait to hear more updates. kaje, glad your cilantro is producing. It's funny 'cause the gardener who first told us about cilantro's poor performance up here (I have read it in several other places since then) does grow cilantro anyway. I guess I just figure I would rather grow things that are hard to find at the local market, which is why we started gardening in the first place. As for Colin's market spot: (drum...