or Connect

Posts by ashtak

Just curious, according to CDD can she spank her husband when he does something "wrong"... somehow i can intuit the answer to that is no. Although i think I might spank my DH if he can to me with a "legal esque document" expecting me to sign up for CDD 
around same age my DS saw monsters everywhere and would talk even argue with them. i would hear him doing it when no one was around and he thought he was alone so i ruled out being strictly an attention thing. i agree with PP, it's most likely his new-found creastivity is taking flight. a few times my DS would also get very upset (seeimungly scared) and insist that i help him make the monsters go away.. now he is 5 and occassionally he wants to write an email to "his...
we dug our own well. We rented an excavator, dug deep, then used the excavator to lower the cement rings down. then we (my sister and i) did the women work of collecting many many rocks and putting those around the outside, so the water can filter in. I remember it was late at night and thank goodness they got an extra cement ring to be safe because one broke in the process. then we used the excavator to knock the soil back in around it. worked like a charm.    My DH...
Hi! *very* active Tibetan Buddhist here.  There are three main branches of Buddhism actually - Hiniyana (monastic as practiced in Sri Lanka or Thailand), Mahayana, and then Vajrayana (dubiously taken for 'Tantra'). Tibetan Buddhism is Vajrayana. Like you mention, it's core message is beautiful, simple, and succinct - but probably not the same beautiful succinct message that gets simplified by modern media. most people think of it rather like the "lazy religion" where you...
couldn't read and not respond, although i don't have any useful advice.  I do, however, agree with the PP that said you can't protect her from feeling hurt - just as no one in the world can erase all your pain. 
As someone who was diagnosed with depression in my teens and struggled with medication and a *very* toxic therapist situation, i strongly suggest alternative options. Accupuncture can actually help a lot, but maybe just lifestyle changes. Does he excercise? that will help him to build up his serotonin naturally.    if he is empathetic and intuitive maybe he is just overwhelmed by our dysfunctional culture. i think that was actually underlying most of my depression. I...
i couldn't agree more, OP.  we actually plant fruit trees on our childrens' birthdays. it's meaningful and definitely does cost something so its not like we're being cheap, and this way by the time my daughter is in her teens she'll have a veritable orchard at her disposal! The kids also really like feeling included in our landscaping and she is so proud of the tiny cherries that finally appeared this summer on her 'Birthday Tree'.  i want her to see that there's other...
this is a truly interesting thread. i have read every post and just one to add something that hasn't come up yet.   to the OP, I get that you started this thread out of a genuine interest in how people would navigate issues of physical identity (overt focus on race in the form of praise) within an image obsessed culture. I have two biracial children and honestly what i want for my children beyond good looks or even 'appropriate responses from others' is their own...
hahahaa! this exactly. DS is just like me and DD is very much asian like her daddy. i have had people ask me if SHE is adopted. it makes me giggle. i have never heard any negative comments from people. in fact usually people seem a little too enthusiastic with their comments, nice to know people "approve". ;-)      
have you looked into dietary issues? I notice a HUGE difference with my DD when she has been eating too much sugar and or not enough protein.