or Connect

Posts by kittie313

Yup, we take winter off and then ease into school in the spring.  Right now we're in the process of easing into our lessons in fact.  I try to do lessons during the winter, really I do, but I just can't stick to it and we find it much easier to just take off from Thanksgiving week until the weekend after our wedding anniversary (in early March).  The lack of sunshine is what gets me most, I just can't seem to get up and moving and its just such a struggle.  However, in...
My third is going to be in Kindy this fall, and my plan with her is as follows:   Math-U-See (she's in Primer and will go to Alpha when we finish it) read daily with/to mommy learn to write her alphabet Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons (already started, going her pace) lapbooking through Sonlight core P4/5 Real Science 4 Kids pre-level 1 with her big sisters   We absolutely adore Sonlight.  It is expensive, but I have 4 kids so far to pass...
We have a minimal amount of structure in our homeschool, just enough that I don't feel like we are unschoolers (although dh would disagree on that one lol).  What I do is History Pockets for the girls, along with Sonlight.  Yes, Sonlight is expensive, but you can get just the guide and use the library.  I'm not really a big fan of the history spine book for core 1 (A Child's History of the World) but it is pretty good I guess.  It is actually a book from Calvert's 4th...
Yeah, one of dd1's LDs involves her ability to memorize facts.  She understands how to do the work, but depends heavily on her nose tapping up and down to get the answer.  She's doing bits of the work in Primer now (I'm copying pages here and there for her and she watches the DVD lesson for it then does it herself pretty much) and is having the hardest  time with memorizing the basic facts (I'd like her to memorize them before moving to Beta if possible).  If we go MUS...
See we pretty much did that this year with math for Missa.  Once we dropped k12 in October, I just put a Miquon book (she's doing orange) in her box with the rods and let her at it.  She fiddles with it a couple times a week or whenever she's interested (this past week she didn't touch it at all, but spent a lot of time reading and doing some educational games and dvd's on the computer) and if she needs a hand she'll bring it to me and we work together on it.  I've just...
Do you think I'd be able to put her in TT3?  She just missed the placement by 2 points on the second part of the test, and she seems to do well with computer-based stuff that we've done so far.  But my 5yo dd is doing MUS Primer, and dd1 (the second grader) is joining in on some of it too.  We were planning on doing MUS Alpha with her because of how dd3 is doing with Primer, and based on how my cousin did with MUS (he and dd1 are identical in learning quirks, so she...
Oh, I forgot.  If you do buy the full core, the bible packages are optional from core aK up to uhhhhh core 5, so you can buy any of those cores without it or with it.  It is scheduled in the guide, but I just popped out my trusty pen and marked those boxes all off so nobody will pick up and include those sections that we're skipping if I'm unable to do the teaching.  The couple books you'll want to skip, if you are buying the full core just stick those on a shelf and if...
I'm doing core 1 now and I can tell you how to secularize it (which we're doing to a degree).  You will want to drop the bible (which we did) and there are 2 read alouds that you will want to drop or sure most likely (Missionary Stories with the Millers, and From Akebu to Zapotec- or something like that).  Those 2 books are only read from once a week though, so it isn't too bad.  The spine for the history in this core is a couple of Usborne books, and the core guide...
Anyone able to compare the two?  Both right now are on the table for my non-mathy 2nd grader to do since I have to change programs anyway (Miquon just isn't quite the fit I was hoping it would be for her, although its working rather well) so far.
I'm using Horizons 1 to teach my 1st grader math.  I bought just the workbooks, as I took college calculus when I was in high school and am fairly confident in my ability to teach a gifted 6yo how to add and subtract.  Anyway, I really like it for *her* specifically.  There is no way on earth this program would work with my other kids though with the way I teach the math to her.  She is a very straightforward kind of kid, wanting to be told how to do it and assisted on a...