or Connect

Posts by Redmom

Yes you're right, she does imply that the way you put them to sleep sets the stage for their nighttime sleep behaviour.   But...and I hate to say this as I'm a huge fan of Pantley......we finally got to a point where our 13 month old DS will lie down on the bed with one of us and fall asleep at the start of the night....and it made NO difference to his frequent wakings or how we put him back to sleep for the remainder of the night.   We do a combo of rocking or...
I totally agree with you that CIO feels intuitively wrong, and our instinct as parents counts for so much and does not need to be backed by research.   Other than that, I like to say "How would you, as an adult, feel if you were distressed and crying and your partner ignored you for a set period of time, then walked into the room, patted you on the back and walked out again?".   Also I think of how a baby has limited means to communicate their fears, crying is...
D McG what medical causes are you aware of?   DS is partially nightweaned, he nurses once or twice a night.  All other times we rock him back to sleep and co-sleep with him.   We have tried:-   - Using the Pantley method for progressively reducing rocking/nursing and placing him asleep on the bed drowsy but awake.  Until he was about 11 months he would scream unless he was placed in the bed completely asleep.  From 11 months onwards, I can place him on the...
I'm sorry I don't have any advice, but I wanted to say that I feel your pain.   We also have a 13 month old who is a rotten sleeper - waking every 1-2 hours.  We did see some improvement -when he was about 11 months he would sleep a 3,4 or 5 hour stretch each night but now it has regressed back again.   I too feel incredibly jealous of the moms in my mom's group, most of whom have sleep trained their kids or are just lucky to have good sleepers, and they say they...
Hi Moms   I have a nearly 13 month old DS who wakes every 1-2 hours.  My DH and I have tried lots of things but ultimately it has not improved so we have come to accept that this is how DS sleeps.  We do take turns co-sleeping with DS and one of us sleeping on the couch, then swapping through the night.   Some days/weeks I feel like I am handling this crazy sleep deprived existence OK.  Other days/week I feel so incredibly down and angry/resentful/upset/depressed...
Awwww thanks Mommas for your kind and supportive words - just what I needed.   Mama2ChicknLil We sleep in separate beds so that each of DH and I get some uninterrupted sleep.  To be honest I look forward to getting a few hours to sleep on my own and the mental rest from parenting.   DS is semi night weaned as DH rocks him back to sleep for most of the night, except a couple of times when I b/f him back to sleep.   Blanca78 DH is fantastic and really does...
Hi Momma   I have a one year old who has generally woken about 6-7 times a night (or every 1-2 hours) since he was about 4 months old.   It did get a little better in the last couple of months - ie he would sleep a stretch of 4 or 5 hours but has recently regressed.   I thought I'd come to terms with it, but lately it has been getting me down - I guess it's that he recently turned one and is still waking many times a night.....it depresses me that our life is...
Emichiee   The other posters have given great advice.  I just wanted to chime in and say you are doing a wondeful job by being so in tune with your baby's needs.  Follow your own intuition when it comes to being the Mommy you want to be.  As one of the other poster said, there is tons of research to backup that what you are doing is not only good for baby, but very common in most other parts of the world.   One thing I'll say is that if you stand up to your...
Sumsum   I'd be interested to hear how the craniosacral goes.  I actually booked an appointment today for DS with the chiro on Friday for an assessment - I'm open to anything at this point.
gitanamama   We are another household that plays musical beds.  I figure it is something we will look back on and say "remember when....".  Something to tell DS about what things were like when he was a baby.