or Connect

Posts by Redmom

Hi there!   I have a 2 year old son who has always been a crappy sleeper - he woke every hour until he was 13 months, now wakes at least 4 times a night.   We've tried so many different things to improve his sleep but ultimately nothing has made a difference, so we have basically accepted this is his sleep temperament and figure that he will eventually grow out of it.   But do crappy sleeping babies/toddlers really "grow out of it" or do their just turn into...
By the way, are there any parents reading this who have older kids who went through this as babies/toddlers?  I think it would be helpful to read some perspective and reassurance from someone who has come through the other side.  And also some reassurance that there is an end in sight?
I'm sorry I don't have any practical advice to give, I just wanted to offer some sympathy and to say that you have not alone with having an extreme crappy sleeper.  I totally get that you tried soooo many things and they have not made any difference.  Despite what the experts say, I do think that plenty of kids are not "trainable" when it comes to sleep - they sleep the way they sleep and will sleep better when they are developmentally capable.   My son is 2 years...
My son is 2 years old and continues to breastfeed.  My periods have not returned, and I'm suprised because I thought they would have returned by now.   I'm nearly 40 and my husband and I would like to try for another baby.  So I'm anxious not ovulating, since my fertility window is already closing.   My son nurses during the day about 5 times, then at 8pm before bed.  He was waking around 1am to nurse but recently I have been encouraging him to go back to sleep...
Hi everyone - firstly sorry if this does not belong here, but I couldn't find another spot for it to go.   So before my baby was born I was interested in EC, but with loads of breastfeeding challenges and just being overwhelmed by the demands of new motherhood, I had no more mental headspace for anything else.  So we went the conventional route and used diapers.   Now DS is 20 months and I have no idea how to approach potty training.   I'd love to hear any...
I'm sorry I don't have any advice.   I have just the one toddler, 20 months old, who is always tough to get to bed.  We'd like to have another child but the idea of having a baby and a toddler to put to sleep scares the heebie jeebies out of me.   So....no laughter from me.   Good luck....
I agree Nilatti, that tempermant has a huge amount to do with.  Sure, some kids might be able to be gently "moulded" into sleeping better, but not my son!   And yes, the smug people who say "my child slept through the night since he was 1 week old" (OK i'm being sarcastic about the 1 week bit, but you get my gist) take way too much credit for it.   I hope bubs #2 is a better sleeper.  He/she probably won't be worse, so at least you got the tough one out of the...
Oh gosh we have a 20 month old who has always been a challenge to put to sleep.    We lay him down on the bed, and my DH or I lie next to him and sing to him until he falls asleep. Up until recently this took about 20 minutes.  Now it's taking up to an hour for him to fall asleep.  He just does not seem tired, even though I make sure he naps early in the day.   The projector idea sounds interesting. We have a humidifier that projects sun and moon coloured...
Hugs.   My DS has always been a very frequent waker and from memory, 9 months was a horrific time.  It did get a little better at around 10 or 11 months.  Now he's 20 months and still wakes a few times a night but nowhere near as bad as the 8 or so times when he was that age.   A few things:   - Have you read The Wonder Weeks?  There is a well known sleep regression at 9 months, so sounds like bubs has hit this.   - Have you tried getting your partner to...
My DS is 19 months and we do use toddler formula.   My situation is that we've breastfed from birth, but I've always had genuine low supply (long story...but basically my supply did not increase despite trying a whole range of things and so my DS needed formula supplement in order to gain weight).   At the 12 month mark I did offer him other types of milk (cow, almond, rice, coconut) but he did drink it, so we switched instead to a toddler formula.   We still...