or Connect

Posts by Beth DeRoos

For those interested YouTube has some wonderful videos like We The Tiny House People  and my favorite California DIY, shipping container tiny home and a cargo trailer bedroom , which is about Lulu who built her own small home, for herself and her children. No its not for everyone, buy hey I live in rural California where less is more and where small homes are popular. And its so freeing to have less 'stuff'.
When we moved from our last small home (700 sq ft) to our new 350 sq ft small cottage we had so much fun downsizing and only packing items we would need and actually use. So the photos of the Swedish students inspired me even more. We belong to the Small House Society and some families live in spaces even smaller than our place. Bear in mind most small places have very efficient storage, built in beds etc. Think IKEA.   We have a French armoire for clothes which...
Stainless steel flatware that is 18/10 stainless is better at retaining its shininess. 18 refers to 18% chromium content, and the other number refers to the percentage of nickel content. There is no difference between 18/8 and 18/10. It's purely marketing. 18/0 however, has no nickel content, which means it won't keep its silver-like shine over the years. So try an buy the 18/10 stainless which I have seen in various patterns on Amazon, eBay etc.  It's why you may marvel...
Alas I have Damask Rose sterling for the Lenox china that as a sixteen year old I chose as my pattern.  Also have tableware that is intentionally mismatched, because I like the shabby chic look which works well with the Fiestaware we have in five different colours.   French drinking glasses from Pier One Imports for the Fiestaware.   Like others, all our house plants are in matching white pots. Bear in mind we live in mountain cottage so this style works well for us...
OMGosh I am so happy you posted this.  We are in the CA Sierras and eat home grown everything, and eggs, to meat, to  fruits, vegetable taste so much better when home grown. Have had folks who swear they dont like this or that vegetable, eat what we served and then remark that they didnt know cabbage, eggs, meat, etc could taste so good. Then ask us why ours tastes so good. As for tomatoes  there is a great book (IMO) titled Tomatoland that is all about how the store...
I/we don't buy any processed foods, items with ingredients that I cannot pronounce. Food items that aren't fair trade. Took a class years and years ago by a former ad agency person who explained why certain colours are chosen for packaging, why items at eye level for adults or if the cereal aisle kid level, are placed there and why most are not healthy food items or money saving. And I really detest ads like for canned pasta items where its suggested that you cant...
My Mother would have a drink some evenings after work, my Dad would have a drink a few times per month. No one sat around drinking beer, wine like we see today. It's rare I even have a small glass of champagne,said from a weeding, bris, christening etc. I am always on the go and aside from the fact I don't like the taste of wine, beer, hard liquor,   I would never ever have even a small glass of champagne and then drive. Husband wasn't a drinker, but was hit by a...
NO you are NOT over reacting. In fact its scary to think what would have happened if both your husband and his brother had been so hung over they didn't wake up at all. What would your 3 yr old done. What if there had been a fire or other emergency. If someone KNOWS they cannot handle drinking a couple drinks they should NOT be drinking. In fact there is NOTHING wrong with not drinking. Can people have fun without alcohol? I would suggest you have a back up plan, so...
Adding a cup of plain vinegar to the rinse water when doing a wash, means items dry softer in the dryer or on the clothes line. I invested in sturdy canvas shopping bags which I am using a dozen years later. They are washable and can line dried. Also have a good water filter pitcher for tap water. And we drink more water when there is a pitcher full in the refrigerator.   Haven't used paper towels in years. Instead we use small terry cloth towels and wash clothes in...
John Holt wrote a lot about successful kids who got into top colleges/universities per unschooling. And David and Micki Colfax are well known for their four boys being unschooled mode homeschoolers with three going to Harvard. They even have a couple books you can buy or get from the library.   Our son and now his two kids got into great schools, as have the kids of friends who did unschooling in some form or another. Unschooling is a style that you can create for...