or Connect

Posts by melissa17s

I think your new doctors will want a thorough history for your dd. They may think more testing is required, but if you want it, then I think you need to let them know.   I was just at an epilepsy workshop yesterday, and it really highlighted how diverse the population with this condition is. Also some of the discussion related to medication included not only how it helps, but also many of the side effects that hinder quality of life.  I do not know which med your dd takes...
To me it is smoke in mirrors.  The commercial implies that coke brings us together multiculturally, but that is far from the truth.  It is destructive culturally and environmentally.  http://www.bluegold-worldwaterwars.com/actionplan/groundwater.html  
Who dxed your dc?  With the dx, they should have included a number of recommendations.  Although there are many "standard" dyslexia accommodations, not all kids need them or find some helpful.  The person who did the testing should have found specific deficits and be able to recommend ideas for accommodating.  My ds has phonological dyslexia and dysgraphia, which would have different needs than someone with surface or spelling dyslexia.   Also, there are some dyslexia...
I think you will have to find out what you have in your area, but here are ideas I can think of around my area.  Our city parks and recs offer many programs throughout the year including day camps.  They even have a kids gym, which kids can be dropped off for like 50 cents for a few hours on the weekends (but I think it is unstructured). The local art center offers camp/classes during breaks, after school, and on Sat mornings.  The local tae kwon do place offers programs...
I do not know if VA has legalized medical marijuana, but you might find this interesting in regards to more natural medication...  http://realmofcaringfoundation.org/  The majority of the kids that they have been able to help are kids with seizures especially ones that do not respond to other aeds.  Moving to CO has passed my mind in regards to ds, but his seizures seem to be under control right now.  
I am so sorry your dd is going through this.  If there was not a known injury then usually the source of the seizures is called idiopathic (unknown).  It could be genetic.  I find epilepsy.com has lots of helpful information.  Sometimes it helps to look at the professional site.  I would consult her neurologist before giving her any remedies because you want to make sure it will not have adverse reaction with her current aed.    It sounds like she is a lucky baby because...
Hello, we have been attending our local UU since ds was a baby.    Most recently, ds has been participating in the OWL program and really likes it.  He is totally willing to attend on OWL nights, but rarely on a Sunday.   I have a hard time keeping the kids going with it and I think it is because dh has no interest in it.  We do like the OWL program from the parents as well as the kids perspective.
This is what *I think*:  It is hard to back track with relatives once they are invited in the house and they are behaving as they "normally" do.  From the start, I would make clear that you will do not accept disparaging behavior from adults, even if they disagree with your parenting choices. This needs to be made clear at the invitation.  They are free to not come or leave, if they feel too uncomfortable with your choices.  Under no circumstances, would I allow or accept...
Tell them to go put on his rose tinted glasses because your kids are angels.  Maybe pat him squarely on the center of the face and say "there there" (we saw it on a Mindy project episode and have used it on the kids when they are being whiney).  Ignore him until he leaves.  
I think you have put yourself in difficult position because the grudge against this teacher seems to affect everyone.  (I honestly can not understand how a teacher could do something that leads to gallbladder surgery, though.)   I think you need to talk to your state's agency that provides advocates (there seems be more than one for CO) for parents.  The advocates can go through the IEP process and explain things, such as,  "Can I call a meeting if my kid's IEP goals are...