or Connect

Posts by melissa17s

I was really thankful my ds's mri was good and his seizures are deemed idiopathic.  I do not know why he has them other than genetics playing a role, but it also means that because the brain is very plastic that he may out grow this because there is no irregularity or injury. JordanKX, I hope your ds has a good MRI, too.     Blessedwithboys, I did not know benadryl was used to sedate for MRIs.  My ds had general at a hospital.  We had trouble with the...
Ds has had sedated MRI, too, but he was 9.  Could not stay still for the duration, so sedation was required.  It was terrible for ds because he was very nauseous afterward.  His MRI was to rule out causes for seizures, such as tumor or lesion.  I would assume that the dr. is looking for a focal that would be causing the hand tremor.  MRI is a very safe form of neuro imaging compared to CTscan, which may also be required because it looks at different characteristics of...
I am a little late in posting, but I also wanted to say, do not give up on swimming.  My ds had an aversion at a young age and failed lessons through the city.  We ended up getting a pass to the aquatics center that had a great kiddy pool and skipping lessons to just play in the pool.  Sometimes play is better than structure.  Maybe sometimes instead of going to the park, go to the pool to play.  The other part about swimming I want to encourage- start saving money now...
The Waldorf school my dc went to preschool at was similar, but slightly different  Earth who gives to us this food Sun who makes it ripe and good dear earth, dear sun we will not forget what you have done blessing on our food and blessings on our friends (family)   I think they are both lovely.
I think the video is a good idea, too.  Really, your ped should refer you to a pediatric neurologist, who will want to do a check up including an eeg.  You want to schedule the appointment now because it may take months to see a neurologist.    If your ped is not listening to you, you might consider taking your ds to another for a second opinion.  Keep documenting.
I am not sure what community colleges are like in your state, but here we take anyone.  Is it possible to open enroll your dd in math classes either at another school or community college?  You could also sign her up for cc math classes over the summer.  The cc I teach at even offers online classes that count towards college credit and many other cc do, too.   My last thought, have you looked at the Khan Academy classes online.  They are free and not for credit, but they...
Contact your ped and tell them what you are seeing.  Also, share that the ST and OT thought it was a concern.  If possible, set up an appointment to take him in during the time that he normally twitches to see what the ped thinks of this.  Kind of reminds me of benign rolandic seizure or even myclonic seizure description, but you need to have checked by a professional to gauge whether it is normal muscle movement or something more serious.  
Beanma, I am glad you got a good conversation going with the teacher both in person and email.  Hope your dd keeps enjoying science and the teacher, too.  
Ds had a neuropsych because neuro/epitologist wanted "to prove" school wrong.  He felt ds was to smart to have a learning disability and he gave us a referral.  This lead to addition dx of adhd and dyslexia/dysgraphia, which confirmed schools findings of learning disabilities.  The school did refer to results of neuropsych along with findings of school evaluator to develop ds's IEP.     I guess for us, it was helpful to have a name for ds's disabilities so we could...
I do not know of an alternative to depakote for your situation, but I can sympathize. We had a neighbor that called 5 pm the witching hour when all kids get a little witchy, and we adopted that term at our house, too.  Maybe try giving him a snack about 20 minutes before hand with complex carbs and protein (minimal or no sugar).   With kids that are not on meds, I think this can be a good way to get over the tired hump.     My ds has only been on the valporic acid...