or Connect

Posts by Madame Ovary

I just got it. I've only read the table of contents, but I can't wait to sink my teeth into it. (As if I have time!) I'm leaving Friday for a week with my outlaws, and all the kids. MIL is a professor, BIL and SIL are teachers, a few other families will be there, too. Dh and I are the only ones who homeschool (unschool, no less!,) don't vax, homebirth, don't CIO, AP all the way, eat organic, don't but Nestle, P&G or Monsanto products, and aren't into Kontrol. I always feel...
I would just add here that, while unschooling is child-led, it is the parents who create the environment. So, if you want to help your dd speak and write French properly, then you will have to bring your skills up to speed so that you can set the example. Of course, this is true in monolingual families, too. If the parents have bad grammar, the kids will, too, at least until they are old enough to choose otherwise. I cringe when I hear dd's public school friends talk: "We...
Hi, I'm Madame Ovary*, and I'm an unschooling SAHM. My dd, Bastet, Jr.*, is 8, and is studying to become a healer and cryptozoologist. She learned archery today, and wants to learn to read and write Egytian. My ds, Tarzan*, will be 5 in August and wants to be a superhero. He is a trampoline enthusiast, and snorkled 1/4 mile out to a reef on our recent trip to Honduras. He can run fast and jump high, but still won't sleep in his own bed. We avoid TV and other vapid...
Openskyheart: I suppose I should have nailed Flaubert, instead .
First off, of course, check out www.unschooling.com for lots on this subject. My kids are 8 and 4. We don't use any curricula, and we focus on whatever the kids are interested in. I do buy the kids a few workbooks, and they use them as and when they choose. From time to time I look through dds math workbook to get an idea of concepts she hasn't worked with yet, and when she wants to, we sit down and go over some stuff. Usually she goes through a math book and just does...
It was my impression from the Mothering article on ECC a while back that there is a particular strain of S. Mutans that is present only in some people and which is responsible for the kind of extreme propensity for decay in these cases. I haven't had time to research the archives, but I'll report back when I do. I'm still thinking a hydrogen peroxide rinse sounds like a good idea, since the alcohol rinses sting. Thanks for the replies!
I know this isn't my usual MO, but I'm going to try to be brief: My dd has perfect teeth. My ds has 3 crowns. He's 4, but he got the first 2 crowns at 2. The &*%$% dentist told me he had "bottle mouth!" I told him ds had never HAD a bottle in his mouth, to which he replied, "Well it dosn't matter if he was bottle fed or breastfed. It's the same thing." I was furious, managed to restrain myself, so I wouldn't get arrested for physical assault on a quack, and we never...
We are assaulted by estrogenic compounds in plastics and pollutants as well as in soy products. All soft plastics-- pvc (#3, I think?), vinyl toys or furniture, anything that smells like plastic, including new cars-- should be avoided. These have been linked to early development in girls. Don't store food in plastic containers, except HDPE (like gallon milk containers) and never, ever heat food in plastic. Also, avoid non-organic dairy and other animal products because of...
DashesMama: Perhaps there are other moms in this playgroup who feel the same way about that kid. Maybe you could get together and ask the mom not to come for a while until she gets a handle on the kid's behavior. That way, it wouldn't be your child who's being punished. Mama All Natural: I'd avoid these people, too, but please tell your friend the TRUTH. If she thinks this is normal behavior and doesn't really take it seriously, it will probably make a big...
Assuming, of course, you don't already. I would travel all over the world, with my dh and kids, of course. I'd buy a big piece of unspoiled land, and build a strawbale house. And, I'd hire somebody to come in here and clean this place up, cuz, *damn*. (to paraphrase Will Smith in MIB)