or Connect

Posts by Lovesong

What you want to do (and use) depends on what kind of finish you have on your floors. Are they oiled? Lacquered? Soaped? Painted?   Are they dark or light? (Light floors tend to need deep cleaning more often than dark floors in my experience, while dark floors tend to show scratches etc. easier).   Personally, I have a very lax approach to my lacquered floors. I don't really mind surface scratches, for instance, nor do I really care for a high shine. Generally I...
I like those lists too. I don't do all the things on them...but they are still a helpful guide to get you started.  
It is. I shudder imagining where we would be had doctor's not throughout the ages. :)
  For hospitals filling up...I must admit the example I come to think about at once happened a long, long, long time ago. The outbreak of the spanish flu in 1918. About 3% of the world population is estimated to have died directly or indirectly (primarily by pneumonia) from it. Many of the deaths were of healthy people.   I agree we cannot know that the diseases would run rampant if we did not have the vaccines against them. But take a disease like polio for example,...
I think it is a very valid concern.   Personally I knew quite a few adopted children growing up, but because they had grown up in families just like my own (white middle class) I must say I never ever thought about them looking different. In the way they behaved, the way they talked etc. they were literally just like me.   I think generally, colour becomes an issue when people make it an issue. But then...anything can become an issue. Me wearing glasses was...
Hope for what exactly?   I do firmly believe that the reason for the decrease in life threatening or possibly crippling childhood diseases is because we started vaccinating children against diseases like measles and polio. I am also of the opinion that it is really, really irresponsible of parents NOT to vaccinate their children against these diseases. The reason being, that as it stands, the chance of a child here in the west of catching for example measles is...
Duck soup sounds lovely!   We are having pork roast, with rice and pineapple carrot curry sauce.
Don't press yourself too hard. Sure way to not get anything done. I think you've done plenty, with keeping on top of keeping the house clean. :)   Anyhow, today I got an early start so: - Put on a dishwasher - Cleaning kitchen table - Finished a powerpoint presentation - Detangled hair (I tend to braid/bun it and not always brush it properly before...so it needs detangling now and again). - Changed cat's water bowl - Emptied dishwasher - Cut away the yellowing leaves of...
One thing homework is really good at instilling in an early age is "work first, play then". My parents were very much like you. Thinking homework unnecessary since really, for me and my siblings it was just pointless repetitions of things we had already learnt. Especially in primary school.   Well...   Not being in the habit of doing our homework (unless it was fun) was all fine for primary school, but once we entered secondary school the problems started.   In secondary...
We aim at 68 in the room where we have the thermostat for the furnace. This room does get a little bit of spillover heat from the kitchen, when we are really cooking, but generally is a reliable room that is not too affected by different weather conditions and sunlight since the windows faces west. The moment the thermostat in this room feels it dropping below 68 it sends a signal to the furnace to fire up.   68 is really rather high, if this was the temperature all...