or Connect

Posts by AnastasiaM

Collingswood, NJ is very highly rated as a family town.  It is quite expensive, but surrounding towns (Oaklyn, Audubon, Haddon Heights, even parts of Cherry Hill) are more affordable.  If you are near the PATCO, it is a quick high speed line ride into the city.  The biggest problem with NJ is the high taxes, which is part of the reason we still rent.  There are lots of nice natural-appealing stores around here (both a Wegmans and a Whole Foods, and a Trader...
We are having boy#2.  We found out on Christmas Eve.  I'm so excited -- obviously, we would have been fine either way, but we sort of want all boys :)  My in-laws weren't thrilled, I think.  I just hink two little boys together will be so cute!
We've started letting our 19 month old watch Kipper occasionally.  I feel bad about it, but being pregnant and exhausted and with his sleep issues (he's been a terrible sleeper, always -- sometimes he seems to need less sleep than me!), it gives me a tiny break on terrible days.   I like Kipper because it's very, very calm -- pastels, lots of white space, no loud noises, and nothing (in the US at least) is marketed for Kipper, so it's not like he'll see it in the grocery...
With my first, I was completely shocked that a few strangers asked "Was it planned?"  Which, I feel like, is saying, "Did you actually want this baby?"  And it's hard to know what to say, because of course we did, but we don't plan, we just let it happen, but am I supposed to go on a tirade about why-artificial-birth-control-is-immoral to a hairdresser I've never seen before???  Or act like, "Oh, yeah, well it just sort of happened," which makes it sound like I don't want...
Hello Mamas!  My username is AnastasiaM, but in real life, I go by Alix.  We conceived this baby about a month before my 30th birthday.  We think ... we don't have a very clear date, because we lost a pregnancy in June before this one, and things never straightened out, so we're going by the ultrasound; I've been told May 2nd by my midwife.  I have a 19th month old boy.  I'm very excited and very nauseated :)  My husband is convinced this one is a girl, but I'm thinking...
Thanks!  I have to really look at the details, and I'm freaking because apparently we have a 7000 deductable, of which my husband's work pays 40%, and then we pay a percentage (more than 10%) of everything after that.  It sounds really awful actually, so awful that I have no idea what we are going to do.     I had pre-eclampsia last time, so hoping this one goes more smoothly, but ... thinking about money is probably not helping my blood pressure!!!  
Hello,   I am due with Baby #2 in early December.  We had Baby #1 at Pennsylvania Hospital (vaginal birth), and were absolutely pleased with the hospital as far as the birth experience goes (not so pleased with breastfeeding support).  I saw the Penn Midwives right up until the last week, when I developed pre/eclampsia and saw the doctors, who delivered the baby the next day; I was very pleased with both the midwives and the OBs I saw.   We had Blue Cross Blue...
For a tiny baby -- there are some natural woods teethers available, but I don't know if they are light enough for a really small baby.  There are also some tiny plush rattles.  We liked nuby links (even though they are plastic) because they are light and can be linked up in all different ways (a chain, a circle, a bunch attached to one link to make a rattle) and can also be hooked to other things to keep them near baby (we also had some on the Ergo).  Sophie the Giraffe...
When I worked in daycare, we loved when the babies wore these ... they are harder for the babies to take off than socks or velcro shoes. But we wouldn't let toddlers wear them, because they had to be able to walk outside at any moment (because of fire drills, etc. -- the babies, under 12 mos, would get tossed into cribs and rolled outside, but toddlers had to walk (if they could) and my day care considered them slippers, not shoes. I always felt bad for the little ones...
Thanks for the suggestions!   We've had two great nights.  Two nights ago, we started going down at 9 (I was going to try 8ish, but he napped from 6.30 to 7.30). It took almost 45 minutes, but he slept through until 4.30!  Went back down after 10 mins, got up to nurse in bed with me at 6,30, slept till 8.   Last night (because of work) he didn't go down until about ten, but slept through till 4, went back down in 20 min, got up and rocked at 5.30, and got up at...