or Connect

Posts by MotherDove

My dd (20months) is very sensitive, and can be easily upset by people and situations she is unfamiliar with. She is also afraid of the vaccum cleaner. Generally, I leave the vaccuming to dh, because of this. But one day she tipped over the litter box and made a big mess which I didn't want to leave until later. She freaked out when she saw me get the vaccum cleaner. This is what I did: I gave her a 12C dose of Pulsatilla, a homeopathic remedy based on dd's own constitution...
I need to get my baby to the dentist. Her front two teeth are chipping--from both a fall and decay, I believe. But I'm so afraid of how dd will react to any treatment the dentist would want to perform. She's so sensitive, and can be downright scared of strangers, even when she's sitting in my lap. I know I should just go, I just doubt that there's anything they can do that wouldn't be traumatic to dd. I'm also afraid that if I refuse their recommended treatment, they...
Eventually, my 18mo dd will be proof of the effectiveness of APing. But now, my words don't have a lot of back up. She's sweet, intelligent, and empathetic, but to others, she's shy and clingy. And she is. The mainstream mommas I know probably think that my parenting style has fostered dependence, and independence is very important to them. But I know without a doubt that dd was born with a fear of abandonment. I can't bring myself to force her to stay with a baby sitter,...
Wow! What a courageous girl! She sure knows how to have fun.
We sign with dd too! She's 15 &1/2 months now, and we've been doing it since approx 8 months. She's only been signing back to us since about 11 months (memory not great, though). She rarely uses the signs without prompting, and though she knows the sign for "milk," she absolutely refuses to use it to ask to nurse. I just should know that already! But she does enjoy learning knew signs. She knows: more, milk, dog (which she does every time she hears a dog bark), baby...
I heard of EC when dd was 8mo, and I tried it. She did pee and occassionally poop in the sink or toilet when I held her, but she never did start letting me know when she needed to go. I did get better at reading her signs than before, though. I got her a Bjorn potty, and we continued to try to "go" a couple of times a day. Now she is 15mo, and I put her on the potty about 4 - 5 times a day. She goes if she needs to. I also teach her sign language, and I show her the...
When my dd (at 10mo) got a fever, all stores were closed (Easter). So I called my midwife and she suggested having her drink or bathe in catnip tea. There's another cat-something tea (catmint, I think) that she suggested first, but I didn't have it around. Dd hated baths, so that was out. She was so miserable, that she refused to drink the tea. Sometime in the night, when she had hardly slept at all, it dawned on me to take a washcloth soaked in the tea and bathe her face...
I can certainly understand your viewpoint. I personally believe that a person can be responsible while taking a risk. These people I know have no children, they educate themselves on what they're taking, and they both do it together (meaning not behind each other's back so one can feel betrayed if something happened to the other). I do feel it's irresponsible to take the risk with your own life if you have children to care for. But I don't mean to get into an argument...
I don't generally visit the Pre/Teen boards because my dd is only 14 mo. However, I just heard of something that I wanted to share and get comments on. Congress is trying to pass legislation to make it easy to prosecute owners of venues who put on raves, knowing that there will be drugs there, namely Ecstacy. Here's the article: http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/u...act020816.html The rave culture is old enough that I've been to a couple myself when I was a...
Hylands has a homeopathic remedy for Vaginitis. I've been using it, and I think it has done the trick. I've also been taking herbal remedies. But I've taken similar things in the past and they didn't work. You see, I've had many yeast infections in the past. I tried all kinds of products that didn't work. When I got pregnant, I went to an acupuncturist on the advice of my midwife to clear the yeast. It worked wonders. Unfortunately, I was never able to completely...