or Connect

Posts by ~Nikki~

I agree with some of the others who suggested talking to the three girls and getting an idea of what they would like. They may be perfectly fine with all three of them in a single room (assuming you could fit the beds/bunkbeds!) I'm on the other side of the situation - my kids go to their father's house every other weekend, and share a room (even though they are different genders, which will probably become an issue in the future). They don't really complain about sharing...
Tried the same thing last night, and we bought ourselves an extra hour. She finally caved and went to sleep at 8:30, an hour after we put her down. I'll tentatively call that progress? She did turn to me at one point and say "I'm sorry, Mommy, but I want Daddy!" What a goof, haha. So Dad came up and snoozed with her for a bit, again. Maybe I should just put him in charge of toddler bedtime.
That's what we had been doing. Just putting her to sleep in the living room while we do our nightime routines (laundry, etc). This worked out well when she was a baby, because she was still nursing quite a bit so she needed to be close to me, and she has older siblings that we didn't want to disturb. Now that she's older, she's pushing bedtime back further and further, and refusing to go to sleep. The holidays made it worse, as our schedule was all over the place due to...
Yeah, I guess we just need to be persistant. She's just so flipping stubborn! I'm happy to lay with her until she falls asleep, but she won't even allow that, anymore. As soon as I lay down with her, she will comletely lose it, because she has no desire to go to bed. She'll just keep repeating "Downstairs, downstairs! I want to go downstairs!" And this continues, which of course disrupts the other kids who are trying to sleep. Maybe I'll put my foot down and try to force...
My baby is 2.5 and still co-sleeps. We are totally fine with this arrangement. But we've been really lazy about bedtime, thus far. She kind of falls asleep on the couch with us while we do our own nightime routine, and then we take her up to bed with us when we go to bed. This worked out fine when she was a frequently nursing baby! But now, I feel like she might not be getting enough sleep. She is staying awake later and later, and loves her solo time with us (she has...
 I'm pretty sure it's from school. I coach a lot of the kids, and am pretty active with community stuff, so I get to watch them in their element, so to speak. And although they're only ten, the pre-teen attitude is REALLY kicking in for a lot of them. I'm shocked, sometimes, at the stuff these kid say to each other. I guess I should count myself lucky that she doesn't seem to be swearing...yet? I listen to the kids next door (their son is the same age as my daughter) and...
Thanks for all of the tips! I really like this idea: This would work well for both children - the one that is speaking the destructive words, and the one that's beating himself up now, because he feels like he can't do anything right. Definitely something worth trying out, with both of them!
The issue is mostly with my 10 year old daughter. She is completely degrading to her younger brother. I have no idea where this is coming from, but it started up over the past few months and we can't seem to make her stop. If they're playing a game together and he makes a mistake or messes something up, she calls him an idiot or stupid. She's constantly telling him to shut up, and will even occasionally punch him or hit him. We've handled it as best we can. We encourage...
Oh, it's TOTALLY normal to feel this way, from all sides of the coin. I know my husband has a really hard time when the kids see their bio dad. My husband and I have full custody and do everything for the kids and they don't see it at all, but it only takes ONE short visit with bio dad for him to be a hero in their eyes. It really rang home how much it bothers him the other day, when our daughter told him "I love you and dad the same amount." I saw this as a GOOD thing,...
My daughter has a house key, and she leaves it at my house when she goes to her father's. This was something she did all on her own. We hadn't discussed it, ahead of time. She just pulled her key out of her bag before her dad picked her up and said "Oop, guess I shoudn't take this with me", and left it in the dish where we keep our keys. It has been a complete non-issue. Is there any reason she would need to take the key to her dad's house? Can she not leave it behind? I...