or Connect

Posts by ~Nikki~

Have you asked HIM why he's nosing around? Maybe - being new to your family - he's curious about what goes on in the room when you're disciplining. Maybe he's terrifed that you might be beating his new step-siblings in there. ;) Maybe he's insecure, and thinks you might be talking about him behind his back. Who knows? At that age, kids dream up some weird things. The blended family aspect only adds to it. I know that sometimes my kids come up with WEIRD versions of...
I have no idea why it's not allowing me to post paragraphs. I used them! Jeez...sorry for the wall of text.... I don't know what went wrong there.
I don't know why I'm such a stress case about this. I'll try to keep it as short as possible because lord knows I can be wordy when I get going. I'm going to a lawyer tonight to have them sign a document that will allow an organization to collect child support on my behalf. Up until this point, child support has been non existant. We separated four years ago. I have received child support four times, and only half of the court ordered amount (he told me that...
We're a bilingual household (French Canadian/English), but speak predominately English at home. The school that the kids go to is 100% french, but before they started school, they spoke only english at home, with only a little bit of exposure to french.  The preschool that the baby (18 months) goes to is bilingual, but most of the kids there can only speak french.   What I've noticed with the older kids is that they went from being predominately english, to...
I know somebody who went through this - but it was some 50ish years ago.  My ex-husband's grandmother.  She cheated on her husband, and had a child, and the husband was aware of it and decided to stay with her.  They went on to have other children, after that.  Honestly it was such a dysfunctional situation that none of the children came out of it without their own problems.  She favored the "love child" over the other children, and the whole thing sounded like such a...
I make them try it. Each time.  Even if it's something I know they usually hate (like my son with mushrooms).  Every now and then, they surprise me by deciding they now like a previously hated food.   I try and provide a good variety at dinner, and allow them to pick out the parts they don't like.   And I try to set a good example by making things sometimes that *I* hate (but everyone else likes), and putting on a brave face and eating the peas or corn that make...
There's no reason she needs to be entering your home, or intruding on your DPs time with his son.  That's super bizarre!  My ex does not enter my home.  I do not invite him in (aside from the odd time it's below zero and the kids are dilly-dallying, and I don't want the door open - he stands in my entry-way and doesn't go any further).  My child with my current spouse does not know who he is.  He's just this weird guy that shows up and takes her sister and brother away...
I don't know of any research, either.  I don't limit my kids too much, but don't find that I need to.  They are outside more often than not.  And will occassionally go through spurts of videogaming (usually when they get a new game) until they tire of it.  They each have an e-reader, which I don't limit.  They use them sporadically.  Generally on long car rides.    My daughter came up with the idea of doing chores to "earn" screen time, so we did that for awhile. ...
It's totally a cry for attention.  Both of my kids went through a stealing phase during my divorce.  The explanation from psychologists is that they do it to help fill a void in their hearts.  Kind of sad.  That said, you can't just accept it and let the kid continue to steal from you.  I agree with what a previous poster said - supervised play time.  Very supervised.  And have your kids put away their very special toys "just in case."   I had a cousin who was a...
Mine is going through this as well (at 18 months) but we haven't moved and don't have any other influnces that could have triggered it, aside from maybe her being sick.  We've been battling the flu as a family for the past couple of weeks.   The word "no" is used a lot by DD, as well.  I always try to offer her the item again (sippy cup, bite of food, etc) just to make sure that no really means no at that moment.  They're trying out new words.  She nods yes, but...