or Connect

Posts by ~Nikki~

I wouldn't blame the grandchildren.  It's up to the parents to teach the kids to send thank you cards.  I'm guilty of this, myself.  Nobody in my family has ever sent thank you cards. It'd be weird if they did.  Aside from weddings/showers/etc, it's just not something my family does. But your post has reminded me that I really do need to teach my children how to do this, because really, they SHOULD be sending thank you cards when they receive something.  Especially if...
How do you even begin to explain something like this to your children?  It's just horrible.  My heart is breaking for the families affected.
I see a lot of information about how to help children who are being bullied, but not much at all about how to help a child who has taken on the role of bully!  There are a lot of books and resources out there that encourage kids to stick up for themselves, but not much (that I've been able to find) that tells parents how to cope with a child that has finally taken that advice.  Perhaps to the extreme.   When my child first started school, she was bullied.  As the...
My seven year old son is allowed in our bed after a nightmare.  But he'll get out of bed on his own, tell us he had a nightmare, hop into for a cuddle, and 9 times out of 10 will get up and go back to his own bed once he feels comforted.  I have no idea how long he's in our bed for (as I fall back to sleep right away).  Maybe a couple of hours?  This happens, at most, a handful of times a year.   When I was a kid, I found that when my parents said no to letting me in...
Thanks!  Yellow Pages would NOT have occured to me, so I'll check that out.   Man, little girl is a whirling dervish of contradiction.  So after I posted about the selfish, greedy behavior, she DID start sharing with her siblings.  We had a good weekend together, and she went to bed Saturday night kind of late after being allowed to stay up to watch a Christmas movie.   When we woke up Sunday morning, there were all sorts of wrapped gifts under the tree?  She...
It really is a horrible age for trying to get ANYTHING done.  This past weekend, my older DD and I decided to tackle the house cleaning together.  We swept. We mopped.  Dusted.  Wiped everything down.  We went into the kitchen with the baby (17 months old) and she was playing with fridge magnets while we unloaded the dishwasher.  She was RIGHT behind us, and our kitchen is tiny.  How I didn't notice, I have no idea.  She's whisper quiet when she's being naughty. =P  I...
My daughter had this as a baby and we used the estrogen cream.  Applied it daily and very very gently applied pressure so as not to cause pain.  It didn't take long (maybe a couple of weeks?) and it separated.  It didn't cause any pain (that she expressed), no bleeding, tearing, etc.  I've heard it's common, too, but don't know anyone else in "real life" that's dealt with it. ;)
Unfortunately, he doesn't live near us.  But we'll definitely make an effort to go out and see him - with the kids - once we get an update on his health (he's undergoing a bunch of tests right now, we still don't know exactly what's wrong).  It makes me sad, but my DD actually told me that she's heartbroken that she didn't get a chance to say goodbye to her grandmother.  She was at her father's that weekend, and we felt it was better for the kids not to go anyway,...
Thank you for your reply.  You brought forth a lot of the points that I was already thinking, and I'm definitely more confident knowing that my instinct is probably correct.  I ran it by my parents, as well (who suffered through the "divorce dynamic", themselves) and they agreed that I absolutely cannot bar their father from seeing them on Christmas.  It's not fair to the kids (obviously) and it could cause tremendious issues in the future, legally speaking.  Just...
I am a bio-mom, but I do know that my daughter's step-mother DID block her from facebook.  I was ok with this.  DD was hurting pretty badly after seeing her step-mother brag about the lavish trips she was taking her daughter on.  One of them happened to be my daughter's dream vacation - one that I told her I'd take her on "some day" when we're done paying for daycare and crazy kid expenses.  My ex doesn't pay child support (he has been ordered to, but refuses).  So from...