or Connect

Posts by ~Nikki~

What do you all do for Christmas?   Our arrangement is supposed to be fairly simple.  I get the kids on Christmas Eve and morning.  He gets the kids the afternoon of Christmas day, and the following day (also a statutory holiday here).  We've toyed with the idea of simply taking turns every other year, but I can't stand the idea of NOT having my kids on Christmas morning, and think they would benefit from the stability of a rock-solid tradition year to...
My son told me on the weekend that he "has hair on his penis" now.  He's 7.5.  I can't confirm if this is true, as I don't see him naked anymore.  He's a pretty private kid, so I was surprised when he told me about this.  He said it's "just a little bit of hair", lol.  I don't know?  It seemed young to me?
We've had a bit of a breakthrough, which is good.  I'm seeing glimpses of my little girl again.  We've had some serious chats about it.  I think she's actually quite depressed, given everything that's going on.  I sat down with her and told her that I refuse to let her sink into a depression, and I will be here every step of the way.  I'm trying to teach her coping methods.  I've gone through pretty severe PPD, so I do have some idea of how hard it can be to pull...
Thanks so much for replying and offering that perspective.  We're working VERY hard on showing her that we appreciate the little things she does.  All she needs is recognition. She's flat out told me this, and we've all been working very hard on being gracious when she does help out.  I'm trying to get DH on board with this method of praising her when she does good, but maybe not completely destroying her everytime she does something bad.  I agree with him that we can't...
I'll look into that, for sure.  Though we don't have much disposable income right now.  My ex has paid child support 4 times in the four years we've been separated/divorced, so we don't have much extra money and things are very tight.  This, of course, only fuels the fire, as my spouse gets angry that I don't "do enough" to go after my ex (I have tried - it always ALWAYS triggers a custody fight, as he realizes that he won't have to pay child support if he simply takes...
Update:   I had the meeting with her teacher last night, after getting her report card.  She got her first F.  In team-work.  Basically nothing that was a shock to me, as I'm seeing the behaviour at home.  Disregarding people's ideas.  Refusing to work on a team. Refusing to participate.  Shutting down and "putting up a wall" and refusing to speak.  The teacher and I talked for a good half hour about ways to pull her out of this.  Her marks are fantastic.  She's a...
My advice to my own daughter has always been to kill them with kindness.  Be so incredibly nice to people that they can't possibly be cruel to you without extreme guilt for it. =P    That said, nothing in life is that simple.  The manipulation and backstabbing between girls - in my experience - does not end after highschool.  I actually avoid being friends with women, because of it.  I work in an office setting now, and sometimes feel like I'm back in highschool.  It...
She's well aware of the chaos she has caused because I had no choice but to ask her about a few of the points above before I called her father to discuss it (ie: wtf did you tell your father that made him think I'm drugging you guys???)  I've been where she is.  I'm from a divorced family, as well, and know full well the hurt it can cause and the power struggles that come into it.  She is completely insecure about her relationship with her father, because he hops in and...
Thanks for the thoughts.  She had JUST started daycare in the weeks before her 15 month appointment, and I tried to point out to the doctor that the bombardment of illnesses (she was sick for a good 2-3 weeks) may have caused her to lose some weight before her 15 month appointment.  Her weight isn't something we ever monitored at home (I don't even own a scale, had to put her on the wii fit, haha) and it had never occured to me to be concerned about her eating habits,...
My child's pediatrician was concerned at her last appointment at 15 months, as she had not gained a single ounce from 12 months to 15 months.  He actually seemed a little accusatory, and interrogated me on what she's eating, whether she's on whole milk, etc.  She still nurses.  And eats like a pig.  She actually eats more at a sitting than her 7 year old brother.  And keeps bugging for more.  It's ridiculous how much food this kid packs in.    She is now 17 months,...