or Connect

Posts by Diyabolo

I've posted previously on raising my daughter as a bilingual, and I am coming across a relatively new issue and was wondering if any of you have experienced it and/or if you have any advice.   DD is almost 4.  We live in the U.S., dad is American (minimal Arabic) and I'm a native speaker. I speak to DD in Arabic exclusively (regardless of who is around or what the situation is). Result= DD is fluent in Arabic (at 6 year old level really in terms of vocabulary and...
Hey all,   When can one truly say that they have a bilingual child? In other words, when can I stop fretting that DD is going to wake up one day and decide that she doesn't want to speak in Arabic any more? When is a child well and truly established in the linguistic relationship with the parent such that it is permanent? I ask because, while this has significantly decreased as DD continues to speak and progress in Arabic, I am still always worrying about the...
Hi all,   I've got an update and seeking some advice.   DD has been going to pre-school for 3 weeks now. Her English has improved considerably, but her Arabic has too (probably because I have redoubled my already herculean efforts in the language department :)   Anyway, there's been an interesting shift in her language use. Arabic used to be DD's dominant language. She spoke it with everybody, even people who do NOT speak Arabic. Now, she seems to be using...
  That's a dilemma! In my case, English and Arabic are SO different, so it immediately registers that DD is speaking in English rather than Arabic. DD immediately senses my knee-jerk physical reaction (my face probably tenses up poor thing) and she immediately switches to Arabic.  Of course it helps that at 27 months old, DD is not making statements deep enough in content which I have to focus on to the exclusion of language. I am sure this might change as she grows up...
Ok, so this a little rude but completely by accident! A little background: My native tongue is Arabic which is what I speak with DD. The Arabic speakers on here should really appreciate this!   DD (now 26 months but at the time 22 months or so) in trying to say "Noss Kom" (Short sleeve in Arabic) pronounced it for a couple of months "Koss Om" which means "Mother F**cker" in Arabic.  It was really hilarious when she would just walk around and point at people's short...
  Those are really great questions. I am eager to her others' input, but here's my experience. So far, DD has been talking to me 99% in Arabic. When she says a word that she only knows in English, I get excited with her and then tell her what it's called in Arabic. After a few times, I say: "What's that in Arabic please"? And then after that she uses the Arabic. The one time where she refused, as I described above, was a request, so I just ignored it and DH responded to...
He sounds positively Shakespearean to me :) Actually, DD did something similar the other day: "Mango Ice cream" (correct in English) but incorrect in Arabic (should be Ice cream Mango).    
  Thanks Eclipsepearl! This is wonderful advice! I am so heartened by your success story :)
That's what I do now.  This will be hard to pull off once she finally figures out what it really means that I speak English to everyone else. I guess I am really asking for those instances when she's stubborn and when those instances become more of a sustained pattern. The very rare times that she says something in English to me (she understand that she needs to speak to me in Arabic), I'll just say that I don't understand her and that she needs to say it in Arabic. She...
I completely agree! So let me change the direction of the thread for a second and ask everyone's advice on how to implement this. There is the one extreme: not answer when she addresses me in English and insist that she speak to me in Arabic. I have read that this, while effective, can be damaging to the child who might feel frustrated and stifled. On the other end is translating what she says into Arabic and asking her if that's what she means. And of course there are...