or Connect

Posts by BusyBee

I've been homeschooling my ds (10) for 2 years now.. It was really hard the first year.  This year he is cooperative because we had IQ testeing and he was show to be profoundly gifted with weak areas to work on.  He knows that he needs an idividualized academic program and is willing to comply now that it  has been explained to him.   I just pulled my dd (7) out of shcool and we will be starting to homeschool her too.  It was tough having two kids in different places.  I...
All the advice I can give you is my experience with my own three children.  My eldest was a very early reader.  He wanted and needed to learn to read.  When he would ask me what a letter was, I told him its sound, not it's name.  He didn't even know his ABC's or the alphabet until LONG after he could read novels.  Also, he didn't learn his sounds in alphabetical order either.  We did the simple, one sound for one consonant letters first, like B, M, T, P.  He though this...
My son is similar, but instead of being introverted, he is extroverted.  That said,  just 'cause he craves social interaction doesn't mean he is good at it.  I wish he could just have a tantrum, but my son lashes out and hurts people too.  He has sensory integration issues as well as having a high IQ ( by the way, you can have a learning disability and also be gifted!) and ADHD.  The way it was explained to me is that he has huge sensory defensiveness.  It is as if the...
My parents are teachers. Recently, my mom invited my children to visit her classroom for a couple days. At the end of those days, she could understand why I'm homeschooling my son. She finally "got it". My son was in school for Kind, 1st and 2nd. He had kind, committed teachers who actually cared for and loved him but he was having many behavioral issues. The school considered him a problem to be fixed. However, after leaving school, those same behavioral issued...
Kids this age really like getting "Jewels". I don't really know what the real name of them are. They are basically flattened glass marbles that you put in vases that we get here in the U.S. at craft stores. Shells are also good. In our school the kids bring some fruit to share.
Quote: Originally Posted by spiritofthings I don't know about the 2nd grade plus demos or the foreign language books... from what I have read on the enki yahoo group, as at last year Grade 3 was substantially done (but not complete) and is offered to families who have been with enki since Gr 2 or earlier as it requires more research and creativity on the part of the homeschooling parent to implement. Also, the guides through grade 6 are complete from...
Quote: Originally Posted by aprons_and_acorns This is what my grandmother told me: Wash on Monday was because it was the most labor-intensive of the jobs. Being rested up from Sunday would help you have the energy for such a big chore. Iron on Tuesday just made sense, being right after wash day. Ironing was really important to kill bugs' eggs and other things we don't really have to worry about these days. Mending made sense on Wednesday because...
My guess is that initially piano playing for your daughter will be draining so that a break after school would be good. However, I remember when my brother was in high school, the first thing he did after getting home from school was go to the piano and play. At that time it was stress relief for him (he never had music lesson, never had an adult tell him when or how to play,and as an adult continues to play the piano and compose music for church). I think a certain...
My son is an intense kid and we often butt heads. WHen I suggested I pull him out of school and homeschool, my husband was concerned for MY sanity and that the amount of fighting we had been having would only intensify. He is in 3rd grade after being in a very sweet school for 3 years with loving, caring students and staff. Was I crazy for taking him away from this? Actually, this was the best thing I could have done, while we did initially struggle (mostly trying to...
I've been lurking, but have to say thanks for the great resources. This is where I get most of my leads for curricula!