or Connect

Posts by mamagi

If another "well meaning" person asks me this question about my foster & adopted kids' mother I don't know what I'm going to do.
Another *like* here My first fost-adopt son actually lived in the hospital nursery for his first two and half months of life. No pictures of his time there then. But oh those nurses, they loved him up good. He came home with several toys and goodies. I took a picture of a few of them with him before we left and sent it to them, too. When we went back two years later for little brother (who was there for two weeks) we were pleased to see his picture still hanging up. The...
You just reminded me that people used to say that about my kids too! They are now 8 and 9 but when they were very small I remember having my maybe 6 month old son in the stroller and my 23 month old daughter skipping alongside it and people asking if they were twins! Duh...
If you are trying to adopt through the state foster system, it's good to remember that the state isn't really an adoption agency, meaning they're not in the business to find a baby for you. (Not saying that's your belief, read on) They're in the business of keeping families together if they can. I think that's a good thing to remember when the wait seems long. People ask me all the time if I'd recommend adopting through foster care to others and ultimately, yes, of...
twenty-three children!?! Holy shoot. I cannot even imagine, I thought getting four ready in the morning was hard... going to check out that link, thanks!
When I was brining my first biological child home from the birthing center at the hospital, I kept thinking how surreal the whole situation was. I kind of couldn't believe I could just bring this baby home with me! Five years later when I was brining my first adopted child home from the hospital, I had the same exact sensation. Maybe it was because he was a baby, but as soon as he was with me, he was mine. I still woke overnight to the tiniest sounds he made, I still...
I used to feel that way too. Over the past 2 years I've come to have a good rapport with bio-parents. Now there are no more visits and we're adopting our little guy. I caught a whiff of their smell on a plastic bag, of all things, and I hid it to save it for just awhile longer. ((((hang in there))))
I say "hello again" because it's been a long time since I've been here. I say "kind of" because I was never that regular here. But I'm finding myself in need of some like-minded mamas with similar experiences so here I am. A little intro, to start--I'm a 36 yo NJ native, very happily married, SAHM to 4 kids. Dd is 9, Ds is 8, they are my bio-kids. Ds2 is 4, he was a foster baby that came home to us as an infant from the hospital where he was born. Dad unknown, no...
I feel like our classes only touched upon transracial fostering/adopting. I love the idea of having older kids come to the classes, wow.
I got a call last week that my almost 2 yo's bio-mom just had another baby boy. It looks like he'll be coming home to us but as any of you who've dealt with the state know, everything takes longer than you think it will/should. Anyhow, I'm happy and excited (and sad and worried for bio-mom) and figuring out who's got what baby stuff for us. And I'm gearing up for all those "well meaning" people asking questions like, "Are they brothers?" "Different fathers?" "Why...