or Connect

Posts by julyaugust

I've only got a moment, but didn't want to not respond..... so glad to hear that you are feeling hopeful...it does get easier.   I was wondering if you've had a chance to see a lactation consultant (either through the hospital or privately), or if you've got a LLL group or leader close by who might be able to offer some support/suggestions.
I've been wanting to respond for the past few days, but am usually too exhausted to string a proper sentence together, let alone form a meaningful reply that will convey how big a hug I would like to give you. I've got 22 month old twins and a 4 yr old DS. My house is such a disaster that I'm embarassed to invite most friends over (save the ones that have lots of kids, and houses as messy/dirty as mine). My inlaws have old friends who had twin boys some 35 years ago. When...
My girls are 11 months old and I remember those early days well! My DS was 2 and 9 months when his sisters were born and I remember being terrified that my relationship with him would change/suffer because I'd be focused on his sisters. Our routine looked more or less like this:    DS would wake up around 7am, DH would give him breakfast while I'd try to sleep a bit more with the girls, who'd wake closer to 8ish, sometimes 9. He'd also make a big breakfast for me....
Great thread - thanks for posting!!!   So, my girls are 11 months old and I just can't get over how the time has flown! I remember being so terrified when I found out I was expecting twins, but it's just been so great.   The girls just recently started crawling - a milestone that everyone seemed to make such a big deal about: "Ooooh just wait til they're mobile, you'll be chasing them all over the place. They'll be heading in different directions all the...
This is us too! My girl with the deeper latch also happens to be more tolerant of having her sister lying on her, so I'll usually start with her cradled and then add her sister footballed. Have you ever tried rolling up a receiving blanket and putting it under your breast to keep it supported/propped up? I discovered that if I'm nursing one of my girls in the carrier and pull my breast up and over my shirt and bra, there's enough material underneath to keep it propped up...
Mine were preemies too, and also between 4-5 lbs when they came home. I had/have them perpendicular to me in the bed and it works well for us. I shuffle to whoever wakes because mine are not easily transfered once they're asleep. They were more easily transfered for the first 4 months, which actually coincided with the time when they'd wake at the same time and I could nurse them simultaneously on the nursing pillow. At around 4 months they started waking at different...
   7 months ago, and we were in New York state. There was one LC for the entire hospital, which basically meant she was so busy she was practically unavailable. The first pump that they gave me was actually quite old and faulty (didn't work at all) and it took several days before I was finally able to see her face to face and get a different one. I had pretty much no breastfeeding suppor and was actually "forbidden" by the doctor to nurse both girls at the same time. She...
Our girls are in a king bed with us, with a crib sidecarred to the side, but no one's actually sleeping in the crib yet! We put the crib there because that's how we slept with DS (now 3). Now with the twins, we've pushed the bed againt the wall and actually have the girls on that side next to the wall, vs being in the crib. They sleep next to each other, perpendicular to the wall and to me. So their heads are by the wall, and their feet are at my side. Then when they...
Yuppers - all the literature I looked at said the same thing: NEC is rare, the risk of NEC is lower with breastmilk.... I printed numerous articles and offered them to their doctor to no avail. She advised me that because of my babes' gestational age, they were definitely at risk for NEC, and that the best way to manage the risk was to limit their intake. She said that the problem with breastfeeding is "that there's no way to know exactly how much they are ingesting,...
Ugh. Just seeing the word "NICU" makes me shudder. My girls were born at 34 weeks and were 4 lbs each. They were born at home after a very fast (no midwife, no paramedics, only DH made it in time!) labour and we were transported to hospital by ambulance. Although they were both doing well, breathing on their own, had both latched on at home.... the hospital staff were extremely cautious. I started pumping asap but actually found that I got way more collostrum by hand...