or Connect

Posts by PoorUglyHappy

Newbian Mama - Sending good vibes for your homestudy tomorrow!   Eloise - We started through the county (DCFS, here) in Southern California but are now with a FFA (Foster Family Agency).   I got the referral from a friend, maybe you can ask around?   I have heard many times that health issues aren't an issue as long as your doctor will say its okay.     Deborah - It's good that you are taking the time to grieve.  I always jump right into the next thing and...
Newbian Mama - I don't have to do everything over.  One of my background checks gets transferred but I still have to be liveScanned.    I do have to take a few more classes, including a water safety class.  Did anyone else have to take water safety?  It seems like it is all about pools.  I don't have a pool.  Wish I did though...   The good news is our friends from PS-MAPP who started the switch in January already have their first placement.   It was less than 6 weeks. ...
http://scienceblogs.com/casaubonsbook/2013/03/12/what-foster-parents-wish-other-people-knew/     A short article I came across today. 
How is everyone doing?    We are finally starting over with a new agency.  I just kept hoping the county would work out.  I am back to filling out paperwork.  :)
QueenJane - Great news!  Everything is moving forward!   I am glad you are more relaxed - this way you can enjoy the process more this time.   Deborah - This thread is definitely not as busy as a TTC thread.    I do miss the ups and downs of the 2WW, there was so much excitement.  At the same time, I am glad to be done with that rollercoaster.    As for the question about telling others about our plans,  my friends have been supportive but my family is hesitant. ...
Smithie - That's awesome!   Granolamommie - You are going to have a full house!   My husband grew up with a big family and originally wanted a big family unfortunately infertility got in our way.    We are limited to 2 foster children total based on the size of our very small house.    Deborah - Hooray for steps forward!
Deborah - My dogs are not aggressive at all either.  I just WANT them to act crazy when strangers come to the house.  I know it's a bit difficult to understand but our house was broken into 3 times (over 2 years) before we got dogs and not once in the last 6 years.   Every agency has different regulations but we are required to have a kennel or crate for the dogs as part of our inspection requirements.  The explanation given to us is that many kids in DCFS have dog fear...
Although we don't have pit bulls, we have two wild dogs.   They like to jump/act crazy and bark when new people come to the house.  We don't live in the nicest neighborhood so I consider the barking to be our security system.    Once the greeting is over, they calm down.   I was very worried about our inspection but we just crated them and the social worker was unphased by the barking.   I am sure a well behaved dog of any breed is no problem. 
Welcome Deborah!  I am so sorry to hear about your recent losses.    
I finally got my Foster Home License in the mail!   I am still planning on moving to another agency, though.  Right now we have a friend from college living with us as she transitions from NYC to LA and she will be with us for another two weeks.   After she moves out, we are going to start the paperwork with the new agency.    I haven't heard a word from my County social worker at this point either and she said "February at the latest" for our home study.      This...