or Connect

Posts by MommyLibrarian

You can also pre-rinse each diaper before you put it in the pail either in the tub or using a diaper sprayer into the toilet.  I do that with poopy ones.  We are pretty much done with cloth diapers, my youngest is in pull-ups now. 
I have an "older" washer too.  I just did it manually.  I would run 1 cycle on cold.  shut it off after the wash cycle (or sometimes if I was lazy I would let it run the rinse too), then I would reset it, switch to HOT, let that run.  Then if I thought they needed another rinse, I would run it again on Cold.  Yes, 3 cycles for each batch of diapers. 
Go to www.cottonbabies.com.  If you purchased the BG new, you can get the Refresher Kits from them for free.  If you bought them used they kits only cost $1 per diaper.  Each kit contains new laundry tabs, the wing tabs and 3 elastic pieces and instructions on how to sew them. If you need to replace the landing strip across the front you will need to purchase that separately from a fabric store.  Each diaper needs about 9 inches.    There are also WAHMs who will do...
Size Small Fuzzibunz will not work until baby is about 15lbs.  I used XS on my newborn and he still didn't fit into those until he was about 3 weeks old.  He was very skinny. 
I saw it.  She tanked it.    Had she gone in an told them she just needed money for advertising, she probably could have gotten a deal.   She brought up the "stolen" patent problem and they felt she had too many legal issues for them to help her.    She feels the all the other "knock-off" diapers on the market are stealing from her.  She didn't name names, but anyone one who knows the story knows who she was referring too.   I'm kind of sad she didn't...
I have made several different styles of wipes without a serger.  I do like thicker (2ply) wipes better but found that doing a turned and top stitched wipes makes the edges very stiff and harder to use.  I've also done 2ply with the zigzag stitch around the edge.  My favorites now are some old terry cloth towels I cut up and zigzagged the edges to keep them from fraying.   
I actually had not tried making my own.  I bought the Fuzzibunz ones first.  Recently I bought 2 WAHM brand ones just to see how they were made.  I could probably use those as a template to make more but since I had my Mirena inserted about 6 months ago, my period has gotten to be almost non-existent.  So I don't really think I need to grow my stash until I decide to remove the Mirena.  The WHAM mom ones I got were made entirely out of flannel.  I think about 6 layers...
Since you mentioned this was for Earth Day.  Don't forget about the Great Diaper Change.  Last year on the Saturday after Earth Day, the cloth diapering community gathered all over the world to change as many cloth diapers as possible at one time.  We set the record at over 5000, so I think this year they are planning to try to break the record.  It was a fun event.  Check out their website and facebook page to find out about local...
Most diaper services only offer prefold diapers and require the users to purchase/launder their own covers.  You may need to check with your local health department about the guidelines for commercial laundering.  Your home water heater may not get hot enough to sanitize the diapers.  Also, using your average home washer for such an enterprise would void the warranty as they are not meant to hold up to that kind of "abuse".  I"m not saying it is impossible to start such...
Yes, HOT water is one way.  Also vinegar is a natural disinfectant.  However, just like bleach, over use can wear out your diapers.  I use about 1/4 cup of vinegar in the wash every couple of weeks.  Also, if you have very hard water, excessive use of vinegar can cause ammonia buildup.  Mixing Baking soda and vinegar (50/50) can help neutralize the Ph in the water.   Just a quick review.  I did like Charlie's Soap but I stopped using it b/c of my hard water I had to...