or Connect

Posts by redheather

My mother tried BFing my oldest sibling in the 1960s but couldn't get a latch, and had absolutely no support from the docs (she didn't look for any, either; maybe she didn't know it was out there, plus her mother had already passed). So all 4 of us were formula fed.   After the birth of my DD she was so impressed with how much support my midwife gave me that I think she realized she could have done it, with support. It seemed healing for her, and she totally...
Going off of richella and 4evermom, I agree it seems to be NOT a one-size-fits-all issue for all kids; some are more sensitive than others.   In our house we're striving for the middle path, knowing it's always changing...   In our case we have a DVD player and computers, but no network TV. My highly creative, imaginative 4yoDD will watch Youtube for long blocks if allowed, so we do limit her and frankly she seems thankful for it. She enjoys the "two more, one...
  Love that final statement.   It seems like there are so many multi-layered pro's and con's to the college experience presented in this thread that they all need to be included in the conversation with our children.   I agree with what many PP's have said, that if a child IS showing a strong inclination in a certain direction, one that clearly makes them feel happy and inspired, that's when it's our job to support them even if it's different from what we thought would be...
Unfortunately it's not just about junk food and other kids being able to handle it. Artificial dyes actually cleave DNA in half; they are used in laboratories when that action is desired for experimentation. They are a chemical additive and good for nothing but visuals. Junk food is junk, whether you puke from it or not. I'm not super uptight with my child but why give our loved ones junk when we don't have to?   And of course this knowledge is not "out there" in the...
You hit it straight on!
Thanks everyone for these great contributions. They seem to point to the fact that we, as humans, all need some sense of space, whether it comes from inside or outside the dwelling. Either way, we need it.   I have noticed that in the "tiny house" movement, people so often move their homes (if it is one of the smaller ones on a trailer) to areas of expansive nature.   I think the issue is that we just can't afford to live in Boulder anymore (which has great...
Tiny houses are becoming more popular, but very few are occupied by families. I'd love to hear from anyone living in under 1000sqft with two or more kids, and truly liking it. How did you make the transition?   If anyone is making it happen in one of those trailer-type tiny houses, please add your perspectives too.   We just moved from 700sqft to 1000sqft with a huge leap in rent (we're in Boulder, CO). With baby #2 on the way, we're facing financial crisis and...
Thanks for clarifying! Linguistics and how they affect us are fascinating to me.
This may not be helpful, but, I once had a teacher who said most of the 4-letter words we use to swear with in English are actually Celtic words. When the multiple invasions of the British Isles took place, the Celts were pushed aside and were considered inferior to the French- and English-speaking ruling classes. Those colorful words became associated with being lower class, when in reality they were simply a part of a different culture's language.   I know the...
Time to myself.   As in, not looking after others for a bit. But that's motherhood isn't it? Mother's day.   And perhaps a massage.