or Connect

Posts by kinkajoujou

I couldn't agree more! Editing to add that even if mothers want to work to have more money and material things, that doesn't necessarily mean they are bad mothers. Some women don't like the idea of staying home, some want to put their education and professional skills to use, some want to be able to offer better things to their kids, others value their financial independence. All these reasons are valid and not reprehensible in themsleves, as long as the kids are being...
 Having been one of those moms who has had absolutely no help for the past 3+ years, I too try not to judge moms who do have it. I say all the better for them that they have someone to give a helping hand when they feel overwhelmed and offer them the luxury of leisure. I wouldn't want anyone else to have to go through all those tough days that I sometimes have to deal with and I think that's one of the sad things about being a SAHM, that so few people realise that we too...
I have the impression most of the negativity is directed at low- or middle-income SAHM's, where the underlying message is that you are not doing enough to add to the family income and provide the family with more. No-one is ever negative towards the wives of higher (or stratospheric :D) income earners who have quit a high-profile job to stay home and supervise the nanny, dabble in charities or other similar activities and use their extensive network of well-placed...
There's e-lactancia.org, a database compiled by a pediatric hospital in Alicante, Spain. It's both in Spanish and English. You could try looking them up there.
My 3yo DD's iron stores are a little low and after some research on the issue I decided to forego supplements and try to increase it through her diet. Here is a very helpful paper by the AAP on the issue, with a list of iron-rich foods. On the whole, heme iron (from animal foods) is more bioavailable than the non-heme variety (found in spinach, lentils and other pulses, etc.) This means that offal or red meat are your best bets. For non-heme sources, you would need to...
My EDD is on Monday but I'm already soooooooo ready!
Reviving this post to see if anyone has any more recent suggestions? I am considering Tribeca Pediatrics (the East Side location), any other suggestions?
I didn't say they cause epilepsy either, I was just referring to the fact that many parents worry that if their kid has a febrile seizure it could mean they have other problems too (one of those might be epilepsy), whereas febrile seizures usually resolve on their own as the child grows and are very rarely associated with other brain issues.
It's not just Dr Mendelson, even as-mainstream-as-they-come AAP says the same things on their website (healthychildren.org). Febrile seizures are a very rare occurrence and are not related to high fevers, they can occur at the very early stages and altough scary to watch are almost never harmful to the child. Also, the percentage of kids who have febrile seizures and other types of seizures (epileptic etc.) is very very low, so even if a child has febrile seizures at...
I see an ob/gyn in a hospital.   -Commuting time - 45 min each way -Wait time before appointment - from 10 min to 1 hr -Time with assistants/nurses/etc. - 15 min -Time waiting in exam room/etc. - arghhhh you hit a nerve there, anything from 30 min to 1.5 hours (that was the last time, when I had to have my 2yo DD with me, and keep her entertained and away from the computer/ waste bin etc. in a cramped exam room) -Time actually spent with OB or MW -15 min at...