or Connect

Posts by daniedb

But my children ARE the best sliders ever! : I try to give targeted praise, but really. I am that annoying mom you come to MDC and post about that told her baby, "Oh! Look at you! Look at those strong weggy-wegs! You're standing! GOOD STANDING! You're so strong and big and beautiful and the BEST STANDER EVER!"
I do try to keep in mind that it can be overwhelming for him. He's still just a little guy, you know? So, in that vein, I do a lot of encouraging and positive reinforcement. I think it's silly to tell him, "go pick up" and expect him to do it the "right" way and pick them all up, without getting distracted or wandering away. Hell, I can't even do that sometimes! So, I try to ask very specific things and do it in small bites that make it easily accessible for him (i.e.:...
Quote: Originally Posted by olliepop I've been working on this and doing much better, thanks to all the suggestions and support. Knowing that I'm not alone has been a huge help. What I keep telling myself is to let things go and if these people didn't like me, they wouldn't keep inviting me over and hanging out with me. Right? Exactly! And there are two other things I do when I get more overwhelmed than I like to feel - first, I just get...
A couple of thoughts: -Start small. You don't have to suddenly find your life's passion to feel better. Running or walking 1x per week or getting out of the house to get some coffee in the evenings with a friend every other week will do wonders for your mental state and help you begin to make more changes toward your goals of enjoying your life again. -It really doesn't matter how you get there. This is something that I'm still learning, and I suspect that it will be...
I wouldn't want to be in your shoes for anything, OP! I'm really sorry that this is happening to your family. I have no advice or thoughts that haven't been covered, but I did want to add that as I read through your posts, I am struck by how much you want to do the right thing, and how impressive that is to me. I can tell how thoughtful you are being with this decision. No matter what decision you make, if you are anything like me and most of my mother friends, you will...
I'm including them in my prayers. What a tragedy, I simply cannot imagine how Erin feels. I'm just so sorry for their loss. I will pray that Noah heals miraculously, and that no matter what, that the family finds peace and stability with whatever life brings.
I'm always surprised when I see these threads pop up. I wonder why these statements bother so many SAHMs? I take it at face value - it could mean so many different things! In my circle of wonderful friends, "I wish I could stay home full time with my kids" has meant: -I tried it, got depressed and suicidal and went back to work and felt immediately better -I am a single mom who cannot support my children on air and love only -I have a husband who is totally...
Z - that is an absolutely fantastic idea! One thing I've learned about birthday parties (and we've had 5 + 2 of them by now) is that the less you plan, the better, sometimes. We always do a pinata, which we all love, and that's our big event. Until this last year (when H turned 5), that was our only activity, before that, we just played in the yard and hit the pinata and had cake. This last year, we did a little pin-the-badge-on-the-firedog game, pinata and cake....
We are coming off of a long period of DH being disconnected emotionally in much the same way, and I have a TON of thoughts. I don't have time now, destruction happens when I type long posts - I'm subbing to come back later. The good news is, when DH reconnects, it's like a magic wand for the behavior. I'll share what helped us when I get some time tonight.
I will, however, totally cop to that mom who dorks out completely on special occasions and dresses her whole family in matchy-matchy clothes. Now that they are at varying ages with #3 here, they coordinate. DH is a good sport and lets me include him in my living window displays 2x per day (Easter and Christmas).