or Connect

Posts by daniedb

I love the "why?" approach. I also do a lot of the innocent, blank look approach. I act as if the person couldn't possibly mean what it is that they might mean, sort of an offshoot of "why?" Like, Nosy: "Here, here's a nursing cover, quick!" Me: "Oh, no thank you, we're fine!" Nosy: "Well, you probably want to cover up!" Me: "Oh, no thank you, we're perfectly comfortable, but you're so sweet to think of us!"
I think your response was ideal! Not covering, being polite and attempting to connect with her on a basic, human level, I would venture to say, did more to advance the cause than any kind of snappy or witty comeback ever would. Instead of retorting and perpetuating an adversarial situation, I see you as refusing to bite, and instead, rising above the insult or whatever you consider it, and simply standing your ground while being polite yet firm. Perhaps a snarky comeback...
As a Christian, I think that as long as you're not being offensive about other religions (and it sounds as if you are far from doing that), your guests shouldn't have any issues about attending. I would be honored to be invited to the wedding of a person of another faith. I would definitely appreciate some sort of flyer or handout about the beliefs or tenets of your faith, if I had been unable to research it prior to the ceremony. Better than that, even, if you are sending...
dh does that too. he often forgets or overlooks the leftovers from dinner, and it will sit out overnight. finally, i got tired of griping about it while he apologized and felt bad, and i realized that he wasn't doing it to be malicious or lazy. now, i double check and put the food away if it's left out and try to remember all the other stuff he does, and if i feel resentment, i analyze where it's coming from and adjust accordingly. hth!
Target has a fabulous noise machine, it has like 6 or 8 setttings, and it's about $10-15? Homedics brand. We leave it set on white noise, or mountain stream. I cannot sleep w/o some kind of white noise, it's pathetic. We have a machine in every bedroom, so three here, and I've forgotten to take on too many times when we visit the ILs, so now there's one that lives in their house in our bedroom we stay in.
I actually see more from her perspective why she's angry. It sounds like you violated her boundaries a few times there. First, that you didn't come home right away when she asked you to, but insinuated that you were, and second, when she locked the door, but YOU didn't want to spend the night alone, you jimmied the lock and made your way in there anyway. You essentially forced your pregnant wife out of her comfort spot when she was upset because YOU didn't want to give up...
Poor thing! My middle guy is a big thumbsucker too, and it would be hell around here if he was unable to get that thumb in there for some reason! I think the Lansinoh is a good idea, and I might also try Eucerin (I actually prefer the CVS brand of it) at night. IDK about your daughter, but my little guy generally lets his thumb fall out of his mouth once he's asleep, so that would be a few good hours in a couple of blocks that I could apply something. I would also look...
Henry is incredibly reliable, I could probably have him babysit the two littles if I had an emergency (turned 5 in December), and I wouldn't leave him at a table by himself, no way, no how. The reasons are: -He's still 5. I don't care how reliable and mature he is, and he totally is, I've never met a kid like him, he's still FIVE. Out of nowhere, he will randomly do things that don't even make sense to him, much less to me. Last week, he pushed the cat into the bathtub...
I can't really put a time limit on it (to answer your edit). My kiddos have usually calmed down after just a few minutes. I think what I would do in that circumstance is to try a few things. I would probably try to go ahead and physically intervene, to pick him up even if he says no, and hold him tight and give him some really good snuggles. I realize that it runs counter to what he's saying, but I confess that I would try it anyway. And if it either didn't work or...
It is hard, this is a really challenging time for him and for you! He has so many big, giant emotions that are ahead of his capacity to process them and they just spill out into the world, don't they? With my kids, what I do is just offer a hug, my help, and consoling words, and allow them to say yes or no, and respect that choice. I sit and wait until they are wound down, if they have chosen to not be touched and just need to scream for a minute, and then when they're...