or Connect

Posts by Buzzbuzz

Stillappalled, just remember that Mothering, the paper magazine, endorsed HIV denialism.   If you keep that fact in mind, some of the discussions and moderating decisions that go around on the forum become much less unexpected/disappointing.
Salr - I hear what you are saying, but the whole issue is complex.   This is not just a conversation between a couple of friends, but it is "preserved for posterity".   So when someone says something on the boards like "Homebirth of breech babies is safer than hospital birth!" it feels as if that statement lives on forever to misinform and mislead other women.  So a response of "MANA's most recent numbers show that 1 out of every 45 breech homebirth babies died" feels...
"Well that is why I originally brought this to light. I have been coming to MDC for 13 years through 3 pregnancies and children. I had been gone a long while as I was between the young years of #2's childhood and this pregnancy and just had drifted away. I came back a few months ago as I was pregnant with #3 and was SO SO SO SAD to see the lack of posting here from the HB community as well as this general negativity about it in many of the threads. It was honestly...
Thank you for that clarification! Would it be fair to categorize mana as a advocacy group and view their health and safety claims through that lens? In that case safety claims from mana would be the equivalent of the California raisin board advertising "our studies show that people who eat raisins once a week are less likely to suffer from depression! Buy raisins today!"
I think it is 100% clear that mana has no interest in promoting practice guidelines, higher educational requirements or, risking out criteria. They are only a certification group focused on obtaining legality of practice and insurance reimbursement for what are essentially lay/non-professional practitioners. Unless the acnm takes up the banner and seperates itself from mana, this is going to be a fight for appropriate standards conducted on a state by state level by...
This is one of the advantages of keeping a relationship with a medical provider on a professional versus personal basis.   I would simply send a polite letter along the lines of:   Dear X,   I am writing to let you know that while I appreciate the thoughtful care provided by your clinic, I have, for personal reasons, decided to transfer my pregnancy care to another provider.   I look forward to continuing my relationship with you as my primary care...
Or, you know, she could think that women are interested in and can handle factual information about their health without needing to be protected like little children. "Love Story" is almost 35 years old -- haven't we moved on at this point?
Assuming they are close in age and an assuming a pretty typical two tier partnership track, she would have retired roughly around the time he made equity partner.
Didn't she appear in an article on time.com? While I don't think the journalistic profession is what it was once, I can't believe that if there was something problematic with her qualifications that Time (or one of the other media outlets that have interviewed her) wouldn't have found SOMETHING by now.
As a (non-healthcare) licensed professional, I find the argument about Dr. Amy letting her license lapse unconvincing. Licenses (and the ongoing educational requirements associated with them) can be expensive and time-consuming to maintain. Judy, if you retired next year and let your license lapse would that immediately invalidate your degrees, your research and your experiences/training? Also you assume that she retired at the same time she let her license lapse. ...