or Connect

Posts by Buzzbuzz

ICM:   Evidently, its not so good in Germany:   http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/unequal-opportunities-german-women-disappointed-by-job-discrimination-act-a-600004.html   I believe I remember reading at some point that the German educational step up virtually ends up requiring that mothers not be more than part-time workers, though how true and accurate that is I'm not sure.   I will say that they have a particularly eloquent insult that can be used for...
That's interesting! My marriage is basically the most equitable one I know in terms of time spent on childcare and home management. I also earn 4/5 of the total household income. I can pretty much guarantee you that none of the men I work with who have a similar family economic breakdown spend the amount of time I do on childcare/housework. I do wonder where the tipping point is. If I just earned twice what my husband does would our breakdown be more traditional?
That's interesting.  I always thought that lengthy maternity leaves would serious impede the hiring and promotion of women unless men were basically *required* to take a comparable leave.   For example, in my office here in the states men can take parental leave, but none of them ever actually do beyond maybe a week.  Some of them even are back at work the next day.  Shifting the culture on that is going to be a big one.
Out of curiosity, in Canada is there perceived to be greater discrimination in the hiring process given that women are provided with such a lengthy leave?
ICM --   Your link does certainly highlight that the decision (and social impact) to SAH/WOH is something we bring our religion (for example, their note that the acceptability of women working outside the home in traditionally Catholic countries came later than in traditionally Protestant countries) and our culture to.   I do agree that that a SAHM today probably gets less of what I'll call "social strokes" (all the various feel-good, positive reinforcement that...
Thanks!  I've been keeping a running list, as I remember old books that I read as a child, and that kids I know still enjoy.  It is a rather old-fashioned list -- my mother kept many of her childhood books and I read them years later when they would otherwise be out of print or very hard to obtain (in the days before Amazon).   A couple of the books don't have the most current attitudes (for example, the description of the "natives" met during their travels in Carry on,...
That point is rather farther afield from the OP though.   I believe that a "Norman Rockwell"-style SAHM is still the most "admired" sort of mother in our society.  It is a cultural touchstone that is gone back to time and again by advertisers, politicians, etc.   I think even people who didn't have a SAHM feel a sense of nostalgia for the idea of the "ideal" SAHM.   Discussions of WOHM moms tend to center around how much they either screw their kids up or *SHOCKER*...
Well, there are the books that my girls love now (currently age 3) and in the past:   The Little Mouse, the Hungry Bear and the Red, Ripe Strawberry The "Pigeon" series by Mo Willems Flicka, Dicka and Ricka series "Knuffle Bunny" series by Mo Willems "Peter Rabbit" series "Big Red Barn" "Frog & Toad" series "Little Bear" series "The Mitten" and basically anything else by Jan Brett "Angus" series by Marjorie Flack "Blueberries for Sal" "A Sick Day for Amos...
Breastfeeding is always dragged into discussions like this because it is the one function that a loving involved caregiver who is NOT mom cannot perform.
Oh, and that $13 billion in the study you reference is NOT increased pediatric healthcare costs but rather primarily lost wages. Preemie -- i certainly agree that there are any number of parents doing a wonderful job in very tight economic circumstances (some of them are in our family or are friends). However, statistically poverty is still a huge factor in child outcomes and that is what I think our government should be addressing rather than subsidizing SAH parenting...