or Connect

Posts by Buzzbuzz

"Some of the midwives I interviewed were legal (CNMs), but in all honesty - I was not feeling them at all. Neither was my husband. I did not like what they had to say or how they answered my numerous questions (which included what will you do if ...)."   I also think there is a very important line between what we "want" to have happen and "what needs to happen".   And sometimes, not being experts we don't know what we actually need versus what we "want" which can set...
Its funny -- when I think of "upper class" skills, I think about sports -- the ones the cost lots of money.  So skiing, sailing and, for girls, horse-back riding.  Maybe in some circles or areas of the country shooting as well.        
One CPM answers why she won't practice illegally:   "Do you think that when you need to transport to a hospital for the safety of you and your baby, I’m going to be eager to call an ambulance and explain what is going on, then follow the ambulance to the hospital and talk to the physician who is on the receiving end of your care and share my name and charts and record of your prenatal care and labor with him so that you have continuity of care?  No.  I am going to...
"Why is it that it is legal for a practitioner in, say, WI) to do a VBAC at home while it is not legal in, say, IL? What are they implying? That those practitioners in WI are better trained? And if that is not the case, are women in IL and WI different? Can the WI women's bodies birth by VBAC inheretently safer than the IL women? I mean, that really is absurd, isn't it? it almost feels discriminatory in a way. WHy is WI any better than IL???"   Each community makes...
You're right, we probably do priortize certain things differently.    I hear about these extended labors and pushing phases (inevitably described as "gentle" -- which I will note is the mother's perception only) far off the curve of normality and what I think about is that little baby holding its breath during each contraction as the labor goes on and on and on.        
Okay, this is my problem with the whole thing. I think there lots of women who are just sure that if they just ask questions of their midwives (and like the answers) that they are getting a competent provider. And I think that's a load of BS.   I don't think that most consumers of midwifery services (i) even know what questions to ask to ensure they are getting a competent providers and (ii) would be able to evaluate the "correctness" of their midwife's responses...
Actually, isn't it usually done almost immediately post-partum?  A friend says she had it performed while the epidural remained in place (also remained in place for a short while after delivery to deal with afterpains).
You do realize that MANA is a midwife advocacy organization?  On its website it specifically lists as one of its goals:   "To promote public education and midwifery advocacy".   The FDA is a governmental entity supported by our tax dollars that is not an advocacy group.  Is the FDA perfect?  No, there are certainly improvements that can be made.    However, when you are thinking of MANA you should be thinking about big Pharma advocacy/lobbyist groups as being...
Slmommy -- the paragraph directly before the one you quote says:   "In 27 states it is legal to hire a direct-entry midwife, or certified professional midwife (CPM).[43] It is legal in all 50 states to hire a certified nurse midwife, or CNM, who are trained nurses, though this practice is rare as most CNMs work in hospitals.[43] Some CPMs continue to attend mothers in the 23 states where it is illegal, and can be arrested and prosecuted, while efforts are underway to...
I'm also not sure I would be running to NARM for its opinion on this -- it certain has an interest in presenting things in the best light and is not a statement about what a prosecutor may or may not choose to prosecute in any particular state.