or Connect

Posts by tibris

laohaire - this is what triggered my response to label. I mean - seriously?   Okay, thank you for the responses that were answering my question, they are greatly appreciated. To everyone else who wants to accuse me of disliking people with developmental problems maybe I'm not the sensitive one to the word "labels", think about that. I don't even think I was the first one to use that word in this thread. Thank you for reminding me again why I left MDC in the first place...
I do not want to sit down and drill her an hour a day, she's not that type of kid. She is a free spirit and I want to keep her such. What I am looking for is small things I can do throughout normal activities that are different from what I am doing now.   Her last hearing test was between one and two, like I said it's not a hearing problem. Where my frustration is coming from is the fact I tried to be very up front in my question that she has neither motor skill,...
Thanks fiz! Thank you so much for telling me about those books, I'll go get them off Amazon right now! I really like the recasting idea I think that's something she would enjoy, I do something kind of like this, but I think I need to simplify like your example.   Ah! Is there a better place to find "it takes two to talk" ? $30-80 on amazon!
cyclamen - thanks for your response (I got to read it in my email before you changed it).   Emme - thanks, maybe contacting one would be a good idea to get some pointers. One of my sisters used a speech therapist for two of her girls, they had a tongue problem. Surely they would know someone that could give me some pointers.   It's not a label that I am worried about, but an unnecessary label. The ped we went to with DD2 was very adament about how DD2 was behind...
  Look, I'm sorry your kid has developemental problems, but that's no reason for you to be rude and yes you are saying "it's not normal, better start therapy." Thank you for bowing out because I think you're answers are better put on a thread that is more reflective of your child's experiences because that is no where near what I am experiencing with mine.
  Thanks for the post, this is what I'm interested in hearing, people with personal experiences, not just people chiming in because they can.
  Thanks! This is exactly what I'm looking for. Since we moved and my working with her went to the back burner she has been saying more. The singing Jingle Bells thing just started a month ago cause sisters were singing it. I hadn't really put those two things together till you posted this. She's added a bunch of words since we moved and maybe that's exactly why cause I'm not trying so hard. She has picked up all the recent words from her sisters.   MDC used to be a place...
Okay, sorry let me start over a little bit, when I say handful I would say there are 50 words or so she says regularly, there are a half a dozen or so phrases she uses regularly. She speaks, but when she doesn't know what to say she resorts to gibberish and our methods of trying to teach her the words she is looking for aren't working. That is why I was reluctant to post anything on this cause I figured this was the reaction I'd get! I am not worried, I feel like she is...
I took the T4 for two days, but stopped now. Dr wants me to pull blood every three weeks for the next few months and just keep an eye on it
Once again, not worried, looking for other tips and tricks other than pointing out everything and saying the word associated with it.