or Connect

Posts by nattery

Hello all you lovely pregnant ladies!   As the title of my post states, my midwife has been denied privileges to provide her services in our only local hospital. Mind you, I am from Vancouver Island, BC Canada, which means that our health care is public, our hospitals are publicy funded by our tax dollars, as are our midwives (we don't have to pay fees for them, they are provided to us by our provincial health care system), In essence: my tax dollars pay for the...
we're doing a home birth and cord burning. I was first introduced to this in Bali where the midwives will often burn the cord as opposed to cut it because it a) is more sanitary to do so in conditions where you can't guarentee the sterility of the instruments being used and b) There is a belief that cutting is an act of violence where as burning has a natural and gradual element to it as it takes 10-15 minutes to complete and thus the belief that the separation between...
enjoyed reading all the posts! I can identify with most of them. I was told within 5 minutes of each comment that i was "way too small" and "way too big" for my size. I'm at 37 weeks now so when people ask me when I'm due I just say "any time now"... although I feel like I am going to regret it if I go overdue and 5 weeks from now I run into them and they will probably be horrified for me if I'm still pregnant.   This wasn't really a pregnancy-related comment but it...
I would recommend going on the tour. I am also planning a home birth and like you, have an anxiety around trusting doctors and hospitals. That is exactly why I am choosing to do the tour... I don't want "the worst case scenarios" for what the L&D rooms look like, or what their policies are, or how to get to the L&D floor if in the event there is something going on and we need to transfer there for good reason. I look at taking the tour as empowering for me. I am not...
I am so very sorry for your situation.   I was a child who grew up with an alcoholic step-dad (and a little sister who was his biological daughter). I also went on to stay in an 11 year mentally / verbally / emotionally abusive relationship so I can connect to what you are saying on different levels.   My step-dad (my mom did eventually leave him when I was still in elementary school) was not abusive to my mom (other than being neglectful, unreliable and drunk...
I'll add my husband gave me what for when I got home ... he wasn't surprised I did it but I got in trouble none the less
Don't get in between two men attempting to beating up a third man (who obviously was trying to get away and was just a kid walking home from work). I was walking home from work at about 10 at night and noticed two men (early 20's?) hassling a third young man. At first it seemed like they were just goading him but as I got closer it was obvious they were looking for an excuse to fight (a perfect stranger just trying to get home). The sad thing is, is that other people on...
Names just jump out at me... I just know it when I see a name to consider and I am not going to name my child until they are actual born and spent time with them and know if the name matches the person. Our last name is already really unique (Raedwulf... pronounced "red wolf") so any name no matter what kind of sounds like a Harry Potter character (which doesn't bother us!) The name I have come back to over and over again is a very unique name, with a history in latin. I...
I agree that walking out was appropriate. I am from Canada and so we don't typically view health service performances as a "customer relations" issue but however way you look at it, she needs to treat people with dignity and respect. Anyone in the health care field (as in the education field and other similar government services) have a professional duty to recognize the position and influence they are in when dealing with the public, and that their jobs only exist...
I am so very very sorry for your loss. There is really nothing else to say other than know my heart is with you and your family.