or Connect

Posts by IrishWristwatch

Today's been a hard day but turned around. Dh left yesterday for a job. Won't be home for 4 months. This is our normal and always has been, the kids adjust after a couple of days and then there's another adjustment period when Dh is home, but it's been really rough today.   Didn't even get up until 11 today. We stayed in bed all morning and watched Netflix, I was feeling a little melancholy myself and probably set the day up for being the way it has been with my...
Mine have hyphenated names as well. Mine comes first, as it does in my name (I hyphenated as well). They don't mind and proudly say their full name.   If at some point they want to drop one name, that's fine. I'll even help them do it. But for now I'm happy that they have both of our names.   IF we were to choose one name, Dh and I agree the kids should ahve my name. It's my family they know best and associate with; it's me who does most of the raising and...
I too am 'younger' in that the majority of the 80s are a blur to me, LOL.   My parents were pretty confused. A lot of the things they did were AP-ish, but, growing up in the decidedly ultra-traditional-parenting 80s and 90s, they were also heavily swayed by popular methods and even went massively overboard in that direction on occasion.   My mom would regularly keep me up all day and all night for a full 24 hour cycle in an effort to make me a morning person....
I admit I've let Dd have a couple sips (and they were just that, a couple sips) of wine, she was curious about it. She didn't like it, but she was satisfied that she got to try it and has not asked since. We talked about it frankly, the effects of alcohol and why by law, only adults are allowed to drink it. She's little, of course, so it was in a way she understands, but it was a good lead in to a good discussion that I think with kids today, needs to start early. If I...
I've had some problematic friendships with more mainstream parents. I'm pretty low-key, live-and-let-live type, but sometimes those types are so stuck in the competition mode and by nature they just seem very forceful. Certain personalities and demographics seem to gravitate to mainstream parenting and as a consequence, those kinds of traits seem to show up in mainstream parents more. Not everyone of course, but the friendships I've walked out on have all had certain...
I love the (mostly) positive vibe of this thread. My daughter wears skirts and dresses a lot and is always monkeying around, so it's basically inevitable that anyone around sees her pants at one time or another. I've never scolded her about it, it didn't even occur to me. She's 6 now and developing a bit of a sense of modesty on her own and doesn't want anyone to see her underwear, so it's basically a self-limiting behavior (flashing her pants by accident, that is). No...
Oh boy, I remember those years mama! Hang in there, it does get a lot better ;) I had mine at almost the same age gap, and those were all huge problem times for me too.    
That time right before dinner. They're usually antsy (bored of our typical afternoon activities of crafting, gardening, gaming and indoorish stuff) and hungry by that time, and I'm often busy cooking dinner so I can't go do stuff with them as easily. In the summer it's easy, I can just send them outside, but in the winters I don't like them being out by themselves at dusk or in the dark, so unless there are other people around, they're confined to the indoors or a small,...
I have 2 and will definitely have more :) I love babies. I'm only 27 so I have many, many years to have more. I want Dd and Ds to grow up a little more before the inevitable diversion of attention to a new baby though. Like I said, plenty of time.
In our circle it's 4 and 5. Some of us have known each other since our kids were born or before, though, and those tend to be any age. For people we know only casually and there's other kids there, usually 4 for us. If  it's a one-on-one occasion, I stick around still. My daughter is 6, son almost 5. Nothing funny is likely to happen with a whole bunch of kids, but I'm less comfortable with parents I don't know well being one on one with mine.   Just go with your...