or Connect

Posts by dido1

I was a legal secretary for two years of hell. Worked for a boss who only spoke to me when she absolutely had to, and then it was usually to cut me off mid-sentence and demonstrate how annoying my speaking to her was. I left a month ago after being offered a fantastically paid senior executive assistant job. I should love it - my new boss is amazing, but I feel sick to my stomach most of the time, like I made a big mistake. I think, like many of the PP's, I don't like...
Testing and education are two separate things. And learning in a good school can and should incorporate play. I don't think you can automatically assume that all children will lose the ability to play because they attend a full time school program. That assumes that their parents have surrended complete control of their children body and soul to the education system. Which I'm sure some do, but certainly not the majority. I know a broad range of children of varied...
Don't get me wrong, I did have and occassionally used a stroller. All PEOPLe, not just mothers, are entitled to use one. Of course they are. But they are not entitled to be more rude or inconsiderate than other people. Their stroller is not allowed to disobey rules, displace other people on public transit, or violate safety rules by blocking aisles in restaurants. ALL people should be considerate about how they exist in the world, even people who use strollers. I...
Quote: Originally Posted by EarthRootsStarSoul Some people just don't 'filter' their thoughts before speaking. My boys have dolls. My now-exH threw one away when I bought it for my son. So I kicked him out and bought a new doll. I think I'm in love...you rock! My DS really likes to paint his nails. Last summer he had blue nail polish on and I could not believe the ridiculous and hurtful things people said to him. I tried to teach it...
I do have stroller hostility, but I only have one child so I try to suppress it and be understanding. But the one time a lady rudely insisted my small child give up his seat on a packed bus so her stroller could have his space, I said no. I wasn't prepared to put my child's safety at risk so her EMPTY stroller could have it.
I'm making up for my lack of participation today :-) If anyone is looking for 2 bdrm apartment at Commercial and Clark with a large, overgrown yard that can be converted into a garden, PM me. I have a friend with a place to rent. I think pets are welcome too.
Sorry that my previous post sounds defensive...my condensed version lost a lot in translation. I should also mention that our family's experience of full day kindy may be different from public school full day kindy...I don't have any experience with that. But I have to say I'm super impressed with the kind of teaching that is done in DS' school...lots of hands on, learning through activity type stuff and recognition of developmentally appropriate learning. They also...
Argh, I had this huge message typed out and it disappeared. So here is the capuslated version. My DS is in full day kindy, 8:20 to 2:20, then in after school care until 5. He is extremely happy and after four months of this routine, the only time he's gotten upset is when he found out he wasn't going to have math homework and when he found out he had to miss a week of school after his appendectomy. Maybe he's a little weird...but I would have to say he is thriving. ...
Hello. I agree with the above posters that it would be a VERY long commute to get get from West Van to Crofton or St. Georges, as you would have to go over TWO bridges in rush hour. It takes me 40 minutes by bus to get from downtown Vancouver to Point Grey (close to St. Georges). Are you absolutely set on living in West Van? I ask because my DS has just started Kindergarten at West Point Grey Academy and I am SO IN LOVE with that school! Excellent teachers and...
I'm with Dawn on this topic. DS had the H1N1 vax last week. I think the risks of getting and not getting it were about the same, so for us it came down to avoiding an illness that would put us all out of commissions for weeks (my sister's family has had it for three weeks - lots of fainting, vomiting, dehydration, etc.).