or Connect

Posts by RachelCK

Hello.  I hope no one minds if I post this here.  I'm not sure I have a specific question (well, I have many, but none are the point of this post).  Mostly, I have so much swirling around in my head about my daughter, and while I can share with real life friends, so far no one has any real understanding of what we deal with.  This is long - kind of a data dump, but it feels good to get it out.  Mostly I'm hoping someone will say they understand and maybe can give me some...
Wow, thanks everyone for the replies!  It is just so helpful to hear that there are other kids like my daughter.  I've yet to come across another like her in real life and the idea of "pushing" a 4.5 year old to read seems so foreign to friends with similar-aged kids.  Now by "pushing" I really do mean very gentle encouragement, so I truly appreciate that you all seem to understand that and that it's more because she can and not because she should, if that makes sense....
Just curious if there are others like this. First of all, I have to say that I in no way think a 4 year old has to read. I only ask because my daughter is *able* to read but doesn't want to, and I'm trying to find the balance between nudging her out of her comfort zone and backing off to let her get there on her own. For background, she knew all letters (uppercase and lower case) and sounds before 2,totally out of nowhere, it seemed, and could definitely recognize her...
I don't have any answers,I just want to say that this sounds extremely familiar. My daughter is 3 1/2 and a handful. I noticed you got a few replies saying these behaviors are not related to giftedness, and maybe that's true, but they certainly seem to go together. My daughter hasn't been tested yet, and other than how it relates to resources later I don't care if she is officially gifted or not. However, the descriptions of the gifted, highly sensitive child describe her...
Hi Asha,   Nice to meet you.  I've just started posting on here as well.  I live a couple hours south of NYC in Pennsylvania with my husband and 3 1/2 year old daughter.     What kind of design work do you do?  I have an art degree (painting mostly) but now I design e-learning and love the designer side of things.  Recently I was able to put my more artistic talents to work by illustrating course and really enjoyed it.     Rachel
I completely understand.  I still think of my 12 weeks of being a stay at home mom as the happiest I've ever been, and going back to work the hardest thing I've ever done.  It's really hard when working is a necessity but your heart is with your baby.  Nursing/pumping definitely helped, for many reasons but in part because it let me feel like I was really doing something for my baby even though I had to be away.  I also felt that co-sleeping was really important because...
Hello!  I'm over in Easton so not too far.  I'm also looking for like-minded people in the area.  I have a 3 1/2 year old daughter.  I work from home  and my mother-in-law watches my daughter, so I'm looking for people with similar age kids to get out of the house and be a little more social!  I like your "moderately crunchified" list and would consider myself the same.  I probably don't do as much as I would like, but I do my best to make healthier, more natural choices...
I will also add a recommendation for Dr. Potterjones!