or Connect

Posts by terraka

Perhaps your routine should include outdoor or group activities at playgrounds, 2's classes, story hour at the library, climbing, running, etc.... It sounds like she is bored and her mind is looping around, so she resorts to bugging you because that has more excitement, then, say, coloring in her corner/room? I am not sure, but going outside, exploring parks, water, animals, on everyday basis should help.  Every single day I find that after breakfast and some playtime...
Yes, IdentityCrisisMa, there is ALL of the above here, absolutely. And, yes, we are in NYC technically, but our neighborhood is on the eastern edge of Queens  closer to Long Island. We are beyond the excellent subway system and there is a bus, but taking it with an 8 month old and a 2 and a half year old is not fun. They don't allow strollers on it unless they are collapsed and everyone on the bus is very impatient with kids (unless they are retired, they are trying to...
Then you were probably in a more socially oriented country than the USA! We do have a local library where I happily directed my friend, but I have never heard of any other program there beyond story time for toddlers. Not sure what "parent support" and "community programs" exactly are, but it sounds really nice. Generally the problem here is how incredibly difficult it is to get around with two small children and no ability to drive.
Yes, thanks for pointing that out. I personally dislike sitting on the bench- it is way too boring. If the games are going well, I do have to stand back, and i do. But it is not just the playground. We go to nature preserves, Manhattan, Brooklyn, we go bike riding and to very big parks and to beaches.  Those are places that need a lot of hands-on. Also, i am at this point terrified of listening to my friend. It is hard when someone is down and repeats the same type...
Sorry to hear this! I am doing AP parenting basically and really really am trying to go back to work (I am not working right now, but applying and looking). I see you are in NY, if you are in NYC or Nassau County, we can definitely hang out (I am on the border of North Queens and Nassau County and I drive).  In any case, anyone that acts that way is not worthy to be your friend. That is what i discovered. Better save your time and if you really want to, you will find...
This is all super helpful! Except the problem is that my friend is basically not doing anything with her older son when at the playground or visiting or anywhere I take them because she is always and constantly holding her younger son who is a baby (8 mo). He is never in the carriage and she does not put him on the floor or the ground. I have suggested many times that she puts him down, but she always ends up picking him right up.  As a result her older son (2 1/2 yo)...
Yes, it appears true that showing lots of attention to another toddler can trigger annoyance in one's own toddler. It makes a lot of sense since one has to "parent" their own, which includes teaching boundaries, but one can be as sweet as they want and only that with others since they don't have to "parent". WHich is what has caused all of this headache. It makes sense!
Yesterday I hosted a BBQ dinner for my neighborhood mama girlfriend and her 2 sons, one of whom is 2 and a half years old. My daughter (2 years old) who regularly plays with him, knows him well and asks for him often, threw a stone from our garden on his head half-way through our hang-out. Thank God, he was fine. No bleeding, not even a scratch. But I am shaken. I don't understand why she did it and how it even occurred to her. I am encouraging her and teaching her...
You are not doing anything wrong. It sounds like you are being so wonderful and attentive. I do similar time-outs. You also sounds very patient. Don't let the in laws tell you what to do. They are the ones visiting! It's your turf. Or perhaps they would like to hire a nanny for you and take care of her payment. But don't say that to them, just smile and do your thing. They will catch on and stop commenting so inappropriately. And why aren't they watching the little one?...
Please send me a private message if you want to participate in a documentary on this issue or you want to find out more information about the project. I need people who are interested in speaking out their convictions and can do so with honesty and passion. I'd like people from all camps: people who have guns, people who don't, people on the fence, people with experience with guns, or simply mamas with an opinion. This is an indie mother-made project. To participate,...