or Connect

Posts by AAK

I really like this author.  My favorites are the "Circle of Magic" quartet (begins with Sandry's book) and the follow up quartet, "The Circle Opens".  I just noticed there is also the "Circle Reforged" -- I need to read this.   Isn't it weird with movies.  We have let our two oldest watch Men In Black.  Regarding sex, perhaps I wasn't super clear.  I don't want the movie to be explicit with sex.  But I don't mind my 14 year old watching romantic comedies that happen to...
I don't know about the first one, I never saw it.  My kids were exposed to Bond by around 9.  We didn't watch it with them, but dh is a fan and I stopped worrying about the kids seeing some of it.  I make fun of the sexism in it and the girls realize that it isn't how we treat people.   I had my oldest watch To Kill a Mockingbird this year.  She is 14.  I am ok with my younger children seeing it too so long as they get to discuss it/watch it with me.  I don't know if my...
I guess my circle is full of prudes.  We don't smoke, never have.  Our friends don't smoke as far as I know.  Well, except one.  However, regardless of the legality in WA, my friend's dh (the smoker) recently lost his job with the railroad because he tested positive.  Technically, he tested positive about a month before WA legalized it.  None the less, he lost his job.  I don't know if he still smokes or not but his wife was completely mad--he has addiction issues and had...
interesting
I like their iced tea, but like a pp mentioned, you need to request it to be unsweetened (unless you want it sweet).    I also usually like mochas, but I can't say that I think Starbucks does a good job with them.  I also think their drip coffee is too strong or something.     I think people go to starbucks because the name is well known and their is a level of consistency within their products.  Therefore, whether you are in Boston or Seattle, you can still get your...
Ok, first I am turning my earlier reads into a list so it is easier to keep track.     1. Fangirl 2.  Kizzy Ann Stamps 3.  Liesel & Po 4.  Tell the Wolves I'm Home 5.  Paper Boy 6.  Divergent     7.  Insurgent 8.  The Grimm Collection   The Insurgent and The Grimm Collection have been my latest reads.  Insurgent, of course, is book two of the Divergent trilogy.  It is still just not a great example of dystopian fiction.  I will finish it out though, but I am...
Sometimes we rely a lot on curriculum, sometimes we don't.  Here are some of our favorites over the years.   Math:  singapore, Beast Academy, math mammoth (for subject specific supplement), and Art of Problem Solving (they make the Beast academy books, but we also loved their pre-algebra--however, their algebra is a bit too challenging to say that we LOVE it anymore)   English:   Grammar: "Easy Grammar"  I have tried other stuff, but I finally gave up because this...
Hi, I am thinking about using a literature course from Oak Meadow this next year.  I wouldn't have my dd enroll, but I was toying with the idea of buying their syllabus for the Intro to Literature & Composition course.  I would get the other books from the library (the ones I don't already have).     Has anyone used this?  Can you give me pros/cons?   Amy
You can easily add Spanish.  My dd is loving https://www.duolingo.com  --  it is a free program, online, work at your own pace language program.  My dd uses her iPad for it, but any thing with a mic will work (as far as I know).    Amy
My second grader does about an hour of academics a day.  However, if someone were to challenge me on the topic, I would also count all of her lego play, puzzles, dress-up, dance, biking, non-school writing, and her help in the kitchen as "school".     Another option for you would be to bookmark a couple of the fun and educational sites.  Let her "play" on the computer to reinforce skills.  It wouldn't be a specific curriculum though.  One example that we like...