or Connect

Posts by AAK

I agree with the previous posters.  However, I do support the midwives who fly "under the radar" in areas where homebirth is not allowed/accepted.     Amy
Quite possibly this is true for most kids.  My second is dyslexic, and she did need extra help.  The little car game that I mentioned helped her a bunch, and it felt like a game to her.  Then, my youngest started asking for the game so it persisted for a while.  I imagine that most kids wouldn't "need" more instruction, but learning things through games if often fun regardless.  Amy
It can take awhile.  You can help the blending skills by playing a sound game.  This can be done in the car.  Take a three sound word, like dog and say each sound separately  /d/   /o/    /g/.  Try really hard to have clear, distinct sounds.  Then, your child will try to "guess" your word.  Take turns, let him/her stretch a word and you will "guess" what it is.  When it was my turn, I would exaggerate the blending aspect.  As it gets easier, you can do four sound words,...
I understand and sympathize.  Wouldn't it be nice to just say "no" once in a while--even (or perhaps, especially) to just sit on the couch and veg!  I hope you have a nice time regardless and that you get a chance to veg sometime in the near future.  Sending (((hugs))) your way!   Amy
Our state does offer resources, but you need to enrolled in a "parent partnership" (PP) program or other ALE (alternative learning experience). Some of the pp programs are great, and others are terrible.  You are usually obligated to do some reporting, you are technically a public school student, and the funding varies by program.  Some offer classes one day per week, some offer fieldtrips, etc.  We have done a couple different ones, however recent legislation has made it...
We really like "Easy Grammar" for our kids.  No pictures, nothing fancy, but it is inexpensive and only takes 10-15 minutes a day.  It only covers grammar & mechanics (not composition or literature).   http://www.easygrammar.com You can also buy it at rainbow resource.  I never found a need for the teacher's guide.  I only get the student workbook.    Amy
I voted "keep it natural" but I was using that phrase in more ways than one.  First, I don't shave my "bit" except to make sure that there isn't any hair visible when I wear a swimsuit.  When dd started shaving, I first discussed how to shave without injury.  I also explained that as she got older and her pubic hair became more prominent, that she would ultimately decide how to handle it.  I told her what I do, and left it at that.  My second part of "keep it natural" was...
The BBC has some great resources for all ages.  Here is the link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/websites/4_11/site/languages.shtml   Also the poisson rouge site has a variety of games.  It is a french name, but in their language section you can also play games in spanish.  http://www.poissonrouge.com/   You can also play the games at pbskids in Spanish.  I imagine this would work well if the child was already familiar with the game in English....
I finally read "Divergent" this last week.  I enjoyed it; it was nice to have a quick read.  It wasn't the best example of YA dystopian fiction, but fun anyways.     Amy
I have really liked Singapore, but after three kids I have it down.  My second & fifth graders are using it now.  However, we do a lot of the "money lessons" with a pile of money, we have the learning resources geared clock for telling time, and a finally bought a box of units/rods/flats.  I wish I bought this box when my 5th grader was in first.  We also have the math games kit from right start math, which is fun and has games all the way through fractions.  I incorporate...