or Connect

Posts by AAK

I think there are ALL KINDs of moms (and dads) homeschooling.   I was the "stay at home" mom who homeschooled.  2012 was rough, financially and we needed to find a viable way for me to bring in a bit of income.  I learned to do taxes, recently passed all three parts to the EA exam, and am now working 15-20 hpw during tax season.  My kids are 14, 11, and 8.  None of them have needs that prevent me from taking on a part time job.  They are all pretty good with independent...
Thanks Miranda!
I have also used the "back off" method.  I have also just left a subtopic and did a different one for a while.  (ie:  left long division and had fun with perimeters/areas or graphs).  However, sometimes my child fears a topic because of the time.  This is where my 20 minute thing comes in.  Kayla doesn't have her math facts down.  I refuse to push this as she has some learning issues that make this difficult.  We play games to reinforce them, and use visual aids, etc.  She...
My oldest is in 8th grade and we are using Art of Problem Solving's Algebra 1 this year.  I choose it because it is challenging.  DD has always done well in math.  However, this year her confidence is really lacking.  While I appreciate the format of the text and the way the problems go beyond "regurgitation" of a process, I think that she is needing more of the plug and chug style than this book is offering.  For example, we are currently working with lines.  There are...
Certain aspects of math will take my middle child an incredibly long time.  If she sees a page of problems looming ahead, it can get very discouraging.  On those days, we agree on an amount of time and set a timer.  I would say, you need to work on this for 20 minutes OR until the page gets done--whichever is first.  She hasn't ever just messed around while the timer is running, this method wouldn't work well if she did.  It does keep her spirits up because there is a...
Well, I finished "Tell the Wolves I am Home" over the weekend.  I enjoyed it, but it just wasn't "all that" for me.  I don't know what I will read next, perhaps "One Summer: America, 1927."  I bought it for my dad for Christmas and he really enjoyed it.  It is on my bookshelf now.  We don't often read the same stuff, but I really like reading some of the same stuff because he is a great person to discuss a book with.  I really thought I would enjoy it too when I picked it...
For our homeschooling. . . nothing at the moment.  I am having some negative feelings right now that I would love to get rid of (this happens periodically when I doubt myself).     Actually, I would love to have a bunch of supplies on hand so that my oldest can explore the electricity stuff whenever she wants.  Ages ago I got her a book that she has wanted to explore and (truthfully) it was overwhelming to me.  I put it on the back burner because I didn't know what else...
This.  Also, there was a cheerios ad a while back that people were all up in a roar about because of an interracial family.  The same "family" played in another cheerios ad that aired over super bowl.  I loved both the cheerios ads.  I like that the companies are tapping in to the diversity of our world. Amy
Rarely.  However, as I have aged, I have started thinking about it.  I do like the way I look better when I put a bit on.  I think my self-confidence about my appearance could use a boost (even if it is created through makeup).  I don't want to wear a lot, but I am thinking about it more and more.   Amy
The fruit snacks are the winner for me.  People seem to think they are healthy because they have the word "fruit" in them.  They market completely to the little kids, and they aren't made from anything good!   Amy