or Connect

Posts by AAK

My dd has a lot of homeschooling friends and a fair amount of public school friends.  Her homeschool friends were found through a bookgroup.  Her public (and private) school friends are great too, they do pretty well in school, etc.  I point that out because dd said the other day that if she needs to "feel smart" she knows it is time to hang with (the public/private) school kids. I thought that was odd because she IS smart, etc.  She laughed at me and said that the...
At 6 and 8, I would use mostly historical fiction.  There are some beautiful picture books that depict how the underground railroad worked.  I would also tell them about heroes of the time-- Harriet Tubman, etc.  I think it would be easy to overwhelm children of that age with the nasty details of slavery, so I would be cautious about that.  You want to educate them, not give them nightmares.  Also, since February is Black History month, you might check and see if your...
It is such a relief to actually make the decision, isn't it!  Wishing you the best in your homeschooling journey.  :-)   Amy
Math Mammoth is very inexpensive and you can download it from your computer.  http://www.mathmammoth.com I have only used the topic books before (either for extra help or to cast our net wider) but have been very happy with them.     Amy
I think there are many kids who go through stuff like this.  I think it would be very difficult (as a child) to bring up.  I think it is awesome that your dd is comfortable enough to share it with you.  
I wouldn't invite them either.  If your guest list is predominately classroom friends, it is easy to mention (if questioned) that you did a blanket invite of the class.     Amy
I don't think unusual fixations are uncommon at all.  Sure, she has the knowledge about sex, but no experiences.  Also, arousal can take many forms and I think it would be in the realm of normal to have it come about in this way, at least for now.  I had odd fixations as a kid, but I never told anyone.  They were different than your dds, but still odd.  I was not sexually abused or molested.  I had a very secure, typical upbringing.  Sure, my parents weren't perfect, but...
My dd is into acting as well.  We paid for professional shots once (got a good deal) and then she needed updated shots for a workshop that she was going to.  I just took them.  Granted, with a digital camera and a patient child, I took about 100 shots of her before we found one that looked right to us.  She took them to the workshop.  Part of the workshop was a critique on their resume, headshots, etc. and we got great marks on our headshots.  The casting director had a...
Just the chuckle I needed!  Thanks.  
Regardless of where it is coming from, you can be straight-forward too.  Just say that in the past you have always had a couple "trial" playdates at a local park to see how the kids interact before you leave them alone at another family's home.  In our area, peole do everything you can think of. . . from sitting (uninvited through a long playdate) to driving off before even seeing the child get in the front door.  Granted, I kinda fall in the middle. . . but if I notice...