or Connect

Posts by mammom

Thank you!  I will check them out for sure!  I was hoping he'd forgotten about it, but he asked again the other day.  I'm on the hunt!  :)   Oh, and editing to add, that I did get The Children of Odin by Padraic Colum.  We started the first chapter and it's good.  Then we got into the Dark is Rising Sequence, which I think we are going to love.  The first book, Over Sea, Under Stone was great.  The beginning of the 2nd book was great, but then my son took it to camp...
Hi all,   I have a voracious reader on my hands.  He's read through all the Percy Jackson books (a year-and-a-half early, I know) and is craving more books about the Greek Gods.  He says he wants one that has the "real" stories, but I know that the "real" stories have all the gory details (rape, incest, etc), so I was wondering if anyone can suggest some books that would be suitable for a nine-year-old without being "too little."  (I'm not trying to rush him growing...
To VJPam, I didn't think you sounded defensive at all.  I haven't read a full biography about Steve Jobs, but one article I read talked about his intrigue with electronics having more to do with HOW they work - meaning, he would take old televisions apart and try to put them back together (please correct me if I am wrong).  I don't think any Waldorf teacher would suggest putting a stop to that sort of curiosity - they might want the younger child to get out and PLAY a...
Hi Sarah,   I have not read all the responses, but I wanted to say that my eight-year-old son has been in Waldorf since he was three, with a small break for a few months of Montessori when he turned five.  We didn't choose Montessori because we were looking for something different (we were in the middle of a move - long story), but I had wondered to myself if he was indeed a "Montessori kid" and if I was pushing Waldorf because *I* liked it.   He was completely...
Hi All,   My little guy is a great reader and has been since he was five.  He got ahold of my Harry Potter books last summer and can't put them down (he is only allowed 1-3 and the tasks in #4).  He loves, loves, loves to read, but I need something that will take his attention away from Harry and Friends.   I would love a good series that will take him a while to go through.  (He doesn't care for Magic Treehouse, has already done the Narnia series... Someone...
I agree with mamahawk - we've been in three Waldorf communities now and haven't experienced any judgements.  I know what the concern is, but I'm not sure why I know it - in fact sometimes I feel like the most "Waldorf-y" person in my class and my son watches a little tv, we have a wii, etc.  We don't listen to pop music because a lot of it, even without explicit lyrics, is inappropriate for children (all these love songs and "i want to be a billionaire" songs, etc...). ...
IzzyBelly, great explanation.  Thank you for taking the time to share all that!  I hope you find the time to publish some day - it would be wonderful to see that fleshed out.  But as a general overview, I thought it was very well written and explained.  :)    
Jalilah, I am sorry to have offended you - especially so deeply!  My goodness, I guess I should have been more specific in reference to this thread, rather than to life in general.  My belief is that if you go into a school (or any place) looking for its imperfections and expecting them and looking with a critical eye, you will find what you are looking for.    Of course going into a situation expecting beauty and not finding it to meet your expectations can be hurtful...
I believe that you are going to find whatever you WANT to find.  If you want to find that Waldorf is "culty" and "bully-ish" and a terrible fit for the universe, then that is what you're going to find.  Personally, I see it as beautiful and welcoming and community-oriented and exactly the right education that the world needs - it might not be PERFECT for everyone, but it's a lot closer to perfect than the current mainstream model.  If you're having doubts and fear about...
My son is in a Waldorf school and my understanding is that Anthroposophy is never taught in the classes.  The teachers have an understanding of it, study it, and like zoebird said, they have different levels of commitment to it, but it is not *taught* to the children.  Stories from different religions are brought to the class via the curriculum, but nothing is taught dogmatically.    And I know this wasn't in the original post, but someone mentioned above that the...