or Connect

Posts by outdoorsy

Hi Pokey - I'm glad you're excited even though you originally wanted a girl. It's pretty cool how knowing the sex makes it seem more real! I think the same would be true for me, but we decided to hold out for the surprise. Still, I'm dying to know!   AFM - We had a scare last weekend. Got the call Friday that I was above normal, in the "borderline" range, on the alpha fetoprotein test, which can indicate spina bifida and two other things, one of them fatal. I dropped...
Hi - glad to hear folks are doing well. Someone asked about the DNA test I'm getting, and I forgot to answer.... it's the Harmony test, which picks up fetal DNA in the mom's blood. It tests for Down's and two other things.
We have connected with other queer parents on a local meetup group, but we haven't actually met them yet because we're still preggo. It remains to be seen whether we will actually have anything in common with them besides being LGBT parents. Our existing friends are both straight and lesbian, but the lesbian ones tend not to have kids.
Threadcrashing and off topic (sorry) -- but I just wanted to say to Friederike,  hi from someone who is almost 50 percent German-American. I live in an area that has very few Germ-Ams, so when I bring a German dessert to a party, no one knows what it is. This Christmas I made my first stollen and it totally sucked-- way too dry! Anyway, hi!
Pokey - Sorry, not much camera advice here. We are still using an older model Canon PowerShot A40 that was our first-ever digital camera. But we are considering getting a new camera for baby photos. I personally endorse the idea of not dealing with the cost or complexity of an SLR unless you're a real photography buff. My sister has something like an Elf or one of the tiny things and likes it a lot, partly because it's so easy to take with you.     AFM - thanks to...
Anyone care to give some advice about spousal conflict over preparing the baby's room? We may have the baby in our room initially, but we don't know how long that will last, because our room is really small. The issue is regarding preparing our guest room to be the baby's room. Wifey is placing all kinds of projects ahead of prepping that room -- partially because they could use doing anyway (like rehabbing the half bath my parents will now use when they visit because...
Chorltes - To follow up on what I said over on QC, and considering your age, this would be my advice: If your length of periods vary by more than a couple of days (as mine do), or if you have trouble pinpointing ovulation, then I would push for the ultrasound method if I were you. But if your cycle is regular and easy to track, it may not be necessary at all. About checking the cervix - I found it a challenge also. If you haven't already, you can try squatting down on...
Jenny - I used them. They were fine. Pretty business-like, not very warm and fuzzy, but on important stuff, they seem to have been fine so far. We liked that they were local, so we didn't have to worry about shipping sperm. They said all donations are made at their local facility -- there was a possible problem reported many years ago with sperm from an out-of-state bank they bought out, but they no longer use sperm from that bank. They have ID release donors and they...
Carmen - Good luck on the u/s! I was nervous too!   AFM - 15 weeks. On my second attempt at the NT scan, they still couldn't get the baby in the right position, so now I'm definitely having the DNA test. But it's not for a couple of weeks yet.
Chortles - since you asked -- the example you gave of u/s + trigger is *precisely* what I wish I had known. That is, I wish I had known it would work so much faster than everything else, so I could have pushed to do it sooner. But to get the u/s + trigger, I had to go to a pricey RE, and if I had gone earlier, my insurance probably wouldn't have covered it. There's the rub.     SanDiego - I am very sorry to hear about your loss. I hope you get some answers soon.