or Connect

Posts by Brambleberry

No.  I was only there 48 hours.  Unless your DH/SO isn't able to be there to help, you can just arrange regular pillows to support your arms as needed.  And you shouldn't feel too much pressure to tandem from the start.  If babies had ended up being hospitalized longer I can imagine wanting to use it at the hospital, but unless you live pretty far from the hospital you can always have someone bring it to you if you need it.
For older babies a baby corral has been indispensable for us.  (like a superyard but we made our own out of wood)  They're way too small if you use them in a circle, but if you use it to divide a room in half it can make a really nice big play space for a crawling baby.  Babies only tolerate being cooped up for so long, but when they outgrow their corral you can use it to block off large areas that are hard to baby proof (the entryway in our house).  Screw hinges and...
We had some similar challenges during the 3 yr old year (not quite so bad), but seem to be mostly out of the woods now at 4.  DD still gets a little rashy sometimes, but is more cooperative about the cream and cleaning now.  One tip our family doctor gave us recently is to have her pee with her knees spread wide.  Apparently pee is more likely to get up into the vagina if you pee with your legs close together, and then it slowly leaks out later, keeping the area wet...
Irielyn - I like to just use a snappi to fasten the wool wrap until baby is crawling or is able to unfasten it herself.  Then I use plastic kam snaps.  The snaps are relatively cheap - $4 for 100 sets, and the pliers to attach them to the diaper are about $10.  http://www.kamsnaps.com/Size-20-Most-Popular-c33/ 
Hang in there!  37 weeks is really respectable for twins and they will probably be fine at this point, BUT a week or two more will probably make for easier, healthier babes.  Being induced brings with it a significant risk of c-section, so don't be in a hurry to try that unless medically necessary.  Those last weeks are hard with a single baby and can be miserable with twins, but you can do it!
I've made dozens of wool covers out of recycled wool sweaters and I've only run into a few that don't seem to work very well.  It's mostly been thinner merino sweaters that I've had trouble with.  Some merinos work great.  Lambswool is the most water resistant in my experience.  You can test the water resistance of any sweater before sewing it up and lanolizing it.  The lanolin increases water resistance, but a good sweater will already be somewhat water resistant even...
I really like old sweatshirt material for wipes.  It has the benefit of not fraying like t-shirts, but is thicker and one side has more texture when you need that.  Just cut, no sewing.  They do roll up in the dryer, but we almost always line dry and rolling edges hasn't been an issue.  That said, baby washcloths are really nice too.  I use raw apple cider vinegar and plain water (about 10% acv) for wipes solution.  It helps keep the wipes fresh and bottom skin healthy....
Hey, everyone!  It's been a while, but I thought I'd check in here to wish everyone's babes happy first birthdays.  It's fun to see how much they've all grown and changed.  I really can't believe it's been a year.  We've been doing pretty well.  Twins are a trip - exhausting but so much fun.  Here are some pics:   Eleanor (left) 7lbs 7oz and Sylvia (right) 7lbs 10oz (and big sis Viola who has just been a trouper.)    Eleanor (right) 21lbs ish and Sylvia (left) 20lbs...
That's super cute, but wool is tricky to get nice and flat.  If you're good at making your own patterns, here's an idea to go from that is super easy to sew.  Instead of trying to keep the wool from stretching as you sew, you purposefully stretch it and it gets a funky wavy edge.     I got the idea for my hats from an etsy seller, but added the ears myself.  Here's the etsy shop where I first saw these...
I've been in the habit of waking my babies (twins) to nurse before I go to bed, in the hopes that I won't be woken up 1/2 an hour after falling asleep by hungry babies.  They're 12 months old now and they wake up every 2 hours to nurse during the night, and I'm wondering if me waking them to nurse before my bedtime is actually contributing to that.  Any thoughts?  Does anyone else do this?