or Connect

Posts by Brambleberry

I agree that we do need to be more aware of the difference between sex and gender.  I wasn't offended by the reminder, but I do agree that gender vs sex wasn't the topic we were discussing.  Not that there's anything wrong with a little off-topic conversation sometimes...  One thing I do feel strongly about is that we need to be more gentle with each other.  It's easy to fire off a heated reply online that you would never say face to face to someone you know well.  I'd...
Nukuspot- go to "my profile," on the purple bar at the top of the page, then scroll down to you see your forum signature, and right below your signature there's a link to update it.
We're not planning on finding out.  DH is dead set against it - he feels like it violates some basic sacred mysteries of life.  I mostly agree, but to tell the truth it's a little tempting to start some sewing projects that are a little more "girly".  With DD I was somewhat against dressing little girls all "girly" before she was born, so it didn't matter if all the stuff we got was gender neutral.  But once she was here I really actually got into dressing her up and all...
Ducks need a little help getting inside at night sometimes.  In my experience, once they are older and well trained to go inside there's no problem, unless you have pecking order fights going on and the less dominant get kept outside by the dominant ones.  So you might have to check up on them regularly to make sure they are all going in.  They will come back to the house, just not necessarily go inside every night.  Ducks do have a strong instinct to sleep by water, and...
I would DEFINITELY go for a wrap style wool cover for the newborn stage.  Pull-ups are a pain in the rear for newborns and not very nice for older infants either, until they start to walk - or at least stand a lot.  For toddlers I'd use nothing BUT pull-ups.  I'd be a little hesitant about a "one size" wool cover over a larger prefold for newborns.  You're doubling your bulk.  I actually used the cheap gerber prefolds for DD for the first 2 or 3 months, and they were...
Judybean- Love the shirt!
Thanks!  Yes that's our kale.  It's been such a mild winter the kale is still completely alive in the garden.  My mom loves to make kale chips, but I've never gotten around to it myself.  We usually add kale to things rather than fixing it on it's own.  It's great in soups, spaghetti sauce, stir-frys, curries, whatever needs a little extra dose of veggies.
Kelantan: I just checked out the thread in Gentle Discipline.  Wow.  She was way out of line.  Even if you were "that kind of mother," and I didn't get that from your post here at all, she is inappropriate in being so outright judgmental and critical.     AFM: had a pretty good day!  DH was watching DD and I actually got tons done despite the MS.  We're propagating berries in the greenhouse right now, and I got some baby spoons listed on etsy if anyone wants to check...
We had ducks for a while and really enjoyed them, but found they eat more than chickens for the amount of eggs laid, so we eventually got rid of them in our "need to simplify life now that we have a baby" campaign.  They are supposed to get more of their diet from forage than chickens (60% vs 40%), but they eat way more total food.  They are super fun to watch, though, and don't tear up the garden as badly as a chicken will if they get loose (but can still do damage)....
I second the sleep suggestion.  DD has always been a relatively easy kid, but we were slowly getting worse and worse behavior with her, and realized that she was really sleep deprived.  She was always up in the mornings before we were, so I thought she must be getting enough sleep or she'd just sleep in.  Apparently not.  We switched to an hour earlier bedtime and it was magical for her behavior.  I did find the No Cry Sleep Solution (for Toddlers) helpful, but if it's...