or Connect

Posts by Brambleberry

Congrats!
We have a composting toilet, so spraying is not an option.  We scrape using little squares of cardboard from cereal boxes, then compost the cardboard so there's no scraper clean-up.  We've never had a problem with the diapers getting clean, but do occasionally find a few little well-washed pieces of undigested food at the bottom of the washer .  As to the breast-milk poo thing - be careful what you wish for!  My dd is just going on 24 months, and still has days when she...
Due dates are VERY approximate - chances are you have at least another week - especially if this is your first.  Good luck!
I washed ours on cold until dd started eating solids, then I felt like hot water was helpful...  I'm not sure it's really necessary though.  You can use hydrogen peroxide occasionally if you're concerned about disinfecting.  Be warned that it is hard on your diapers and wears them out faster - I think chlorine bleach does too, though.  I would definitely do an extra rinse cycle too.
I totally recommend the no-knead bread too!  You can do it with part or all whole wheat, and the fact that you're soaking the grains overnight before you bake means that you're removing the phytates for better mineral absorption.  5 cups whole wheat to 8 cups white flour is my compromise recipe for nicer pizza crusts and fluffier bread, but I've also had really nice results with 10 cups whole wheat and 3 cups white.  I also like to put 1/2 cup of ground flax seeds and...
Broths are a great way to extend meat, eat healthier and they are super tasty too!  http://www.westonaprice.org/food-features/broth-is-beautiful  Chicken backs and necks make the best broths and are super cheap.  Just throw them in the crock pot with a few "glugs" of vinegar, fill it up with water, and cook for at least 24 hours.  Part way through you can pick the larger pieces of meat off the bones and use it for one meal, then strain the bones out the next night and...
Do you use diaper cream every night?  We found that it was necessary for prevention.  A simple zinc oxide cream is a good moisture barrier to protect the skin from wet overnight diapers.  I liked burt's bees, but due to the price I decided to just get the ingredients to make my own.  it was really very simple and just involved melting a little beeswax and lanolin, mixing in olive oil and then adding powdered zinc oxide with a hand blender.  You can get the ingredients...
I would seriously consider putting in a flue for both the upstairs AND downstairs.  You wouldn't have to install two stoves unless or until you decide it's necessary, but you would always have the option.  Now is the time to do something like that since it will be more difficult to retrofit.  You could install a cheaper, smaller stove downstairs and a nicer one upstairs.     If you just put one large stove downstairs, you could install some floor vents above the...
Hmm... is there a connection?   maybe not, but it is a little funny.     Not that your situation is funny - my heart really goes out to you.  I wish I had good advice.  We're dealing with going to sleep issues right now too.  The one thing that does make the biggest difference for us in terms of overall good sleep nights is the daytime nap.  If DD doesn't get a good on-schedule nap during the day we can count on having a TERRIBLE night.  Getting to sleep too late makes...
It's a bit of a waste of water and time IMHO to wash them separately for so many washes.  I would just throw them in with your regular laundry when you have a small load to do - hot or cold (cold works fine - just may take more total washes to get to full absorbency).  And when you need to start using them just start using them whether or not they've been fully "prepped."  They won't be at their full absorbency until they've been washed 5-8 times, but what's the big...