or Connect

Posts by preemieprincess

One of the few shots my daughter ever got was the vitamin K in the hospital shortly after her birth. My midwife (who is respectful of delayed/ no vax) suggested we do the vitamin K because of some health complications related to her prematurity. I was so frazzled at the moment we made the decision to give her the vitamin K, so I cannot recall what the exact reasons were.
My parents have a philosophy with child-rearing, which I have adopted for my own family: Children should be spending their time learning who they are and what makes them happy, not worrying about what other people think of them or want them to be. It also applies to parenting: Parents should be worried about instilling good values in their kids, not worried what others think of their choices. I was raised by parents who firmly believed conformity for the sake of being...
Thank you for clarifying. Not all ear infections are equal. My daughter doesn't get them that bad.
I'm hoping to hear some success stories. My husband and I have said we are "not trying, but not not trying" for another child. The VR happened this past summer. We're both 30ish, so we are at the prime time in our lives for conception to occur. I'm not the type to make myself go batty with charting my ovulation or anything like that. We do not want our journey to conception to feel like a medical event. For spiritual as well as financial reasons, we will not consider...
Hot showers/ hot compresses work well for treating ear infections. While cupping my hand over her ear, aim the hot water right on the ouchie ear, then gently massage, with two fingers, the area of her neck behind the ear lobe after the shower. She always says it makes her ear feel better. (Advice from my doctor sibling, who likes to treat things naturally before resorting to medication). If nothing else, it relieves the pain so she can sleep. She's 3yo and an infrequent...
Well said! I know plenty of divorced Catholics who remarry. That is technically considered adultery by the church. I believe that this sort of thing happens in any religion, but Catholicism gets the most press for it.I've been following the whole "Muslim hipster" thing- young American Muslim women who blend modesty with fashion, trying to find the balance between authentically living their faith, with life in a society that does not necessarily value all the same things...
Wow, what a renegade! Putting a banana in your kid's lunch box! ;-)
I don't believe the "if everyone else jumps off a bridge" idea is too simplistic. It gets the point across to a five year old. It makes sense to a teen. It still makes perfect sense to me, over a decade since I last heard it from my parents. The desire to conform is a very slippery slope. The desire to conform just to be "cool" or "fit in" feeds into such issues as eating disorders, promiscuity, drug use, and general dissatisfaction with life. Granted, these things can...
"That way, her child could have the same yogurt package as everyone else without having all the sugar." Now that I've had a few days to ponder this parental judgment thing.... I feel sorry for this kid. Yes, I "water down" sugary products for my daughter. However, what kind of example are you setting for your kid when you go through all this trouble (bringing a syringe with you? REALLY?!) just to be like everyone else. This mother is basically instilling values like...
Nope! I even managed to nap sometimes :)