or Connect

Posts by bellyfruit

Without an outside structure determining my schedule, I find that I can get stuck not meeting my own needs and feeling overwhelmed.  Theoretically, sahming could be the most awesome life choice we get to experience.  If there is support, equality(everyone helping out), lightness and fun.   I have a few rituals that I do that feel wonderful throughout the day.  But I know that our family could benefit from more outside help and inside agreement on who is responsible for...
I have not torn with any of my births.  But I do know it is entirely possible to not tear in a subsequent birth.  I do not know the circumstances of your first birth, but if you received an episiotomy you can place the blame firmly on that procedure.  Other things that contribute to tearing are: -epidurals or other pain relief which prevent you from feeling what is going on and adjusting your position and pushing accordingly -doing 'purple pushing' (often at hospital...
Have you tried using calgon water softener powder?  It worked for me on my cotton diapers when I lived in a place with water so hard it was rust colored.  And could you set up a water softener that goes to your washer?
sweet.
Glad you have made some progress.  None of us should get run into the ground by the tasks of everyday life!
If you are using a normal flannel receiving blanket, I would say a large birdseye flat is a little bit more absorbent.  But still not as absorbent as a prefold.    
I really do not know what to do either.  There is so much to do, and it never ends.  Childcare and housework is not something that you can clock out of.  So it is obvious to me that dividing the family tasks as 'wage earner' and 'everything else' is absurd.  But it does tend to drift that direction.   I have tried making lists of everything that goes into a day and having dh choose which he would like to do on his days on and off.  It never sticks.  I hate reminding and...
It sounds like he is not comfortable around the other kids.  It is a lot harder to play with kids than adults, particularly your parents, who pretty much follow your lead.  No doubt he will eventually start to play with other kids.  But if I were you I would continue to give him ample opportunity to do so.  You can't learn social skills without socializing, so keep up with the group activities and he will take in how play occurs and start to feel comfortable enough to take...
It depends how old your baby is.  One large flat is plenty absorbent for a newborn.  But then they go through times of peeing heavily, and you'll probably need to add a doubler, like a small washcloth or cloth wipe(s).  For night you'll definitely need to use 2 flats and it is bulky, but aren't all nighttime cloth bums huge anyway? Prefolding them helps speed things.  You don't have to use the origami fold though.  You can just make them into a rectangle to look like a...
My washer also has no extra rinse options.  I have always just ran a first wash on warm with detergent.  Then a second wash on warm with nothing.