or Connect

Posts by bellyfruit

I think that prefolds are more absorbent than large flats.  You can double flats, but you get a lot of fluff this way.  I prefer the softness of prefolds to birdseye flats.  Imse Vimse makes a muslin flat, that is as soft as a prefold, a bit pricier than the birdseye though, and I think they are only selling them dyed green right now.  I have used flannel receiving blankets as flats, but again, they are not as absorbent and I don't like the feel of them when wet.  Once you...
I don't think using time-out conveys that conflict necessitates isolation.  Most of our conflicts are small and we are able to talk through them.  But, when things get out of control, like one of the kids is physically lashing out, screaming uncontrollably or a parent is so frustrated that they cannot honestly deal with the situation kindly, it is a great break.  It is recognizing that space and quiet can be really helpful in regulating mood.  But maybe that is just my...
I am pretty sure none of the sahms here are meaning to start a fight. We are just bitching about how we feel we are viewed by the comments we receive. I live in a high col area, and our lifestyle is drastically different than that which I see all around me. Because it does take one huge or two good incomes to pay for the expected basics of a 2+ bedroom house, 2 reliable cars, and the requisite day care/ all day preschool. So at least here, it is odd to not strive for...
I think that people don't get that we are caretakers.  I hear all this talk about how hard it is for boomers to take care of their aging parents, or sick spouses.  How caretaking is the never ending shift, blah blah blah.  And all I ever think is- 'You know what?  Raising children is caretaking too, and the parents who do it also need respite'.  But it hasn't seemed to cross anyones mind that a good chunk of mothers are at home tending to the needs of children just as...
I wish I had some advice for you.  But nothing I have done has worked.  We have asked for only 1-2 toys for Christmas, and year after year each child gets a dozen per grandparent.  We have asked for 1 gift for birthdays, and instead each grandparent gives a gift bag with several presents.  We have asked for gift memberships or kid magazine subscriptions instead of toys, giving our tiny house as the reason, and instead receive subscriptions, memberships AND toys.  We have...
Giving birth hurts- a whole f'ing lot!   Once in a great while it does not, but for the vast majority of women it does- and it is a normal and evolved condition for birth to hurt.  This gets us to a safe space where we won't be predated upon.  And it puts our physiology in an altered state to bond intensely with our baby.     Each birth will feel different depending on your body and your baby and how they are in position to one another. And the perception of that...
Does anyone know where I can find job postings for CPM's?  When I search online job sites all that I find are postings for CNM's.  I am specifically looking for a job that is more compatible with having small children, such as working for a women's health foundation or teaching distance courses at an online school.  Basically something part-time that is not on-call!  
I love cloth.  It's a bit of an obsession.  Something about the feel.  I love GMD prefolds, and start with the yellow edge.  And I have flats from both Imse Vimse (muslin, and so squishy), and GMD (birdsye, kinda hard in comparison).  Also love Under the Nile fitteds, but those are pricey, but sooo cute, nice for around the house with no cover.  I love BSWW, and Imse Vimse cotton covers.  For pul I need it to not be wipe clean- the plasticy-ness bugs me.  I have a few...
I don't think your provider will have access to it for a few more weeks.  It is just now getting rolled out.  Breaking the 25mg Unisom in half is not big deal.  Just be sure to buy the regular Unisom made with doxylamine succinate.  Take one dose (12.5mg) before bed and if that doesn't work take one dose in the morning too.  After a few days it won't make you as tired.  Good luck!  
I have been on magnesium for many months before I was pregnant, and am sorry to say I don't think it has done much.  Unisom/B6 is definitely helping.  I had to double my dose and that helped even more.  But I still do throw-up first thing in the morning, and feel bad all day.  Compared to my other pregnancies without the drugs though, this is much more manageable and I haven't lost any weight.