or Connect

Posts by AmandaK

We painted coffee filters last week and then I cut hearts out of them to put on the windows. You could also finger paint in the tub (easier to clean) or make some homemade play dough.
Mine broke while I was sitting on the couch watching my husband hook up the DVD player so we could watch a natural childbirth video!
We have very similar problems with my toddler. It's chaos. Finally we decided that she has to sit at the table while we are eating. If she won't eat, then we try to just go on with our meal and not give it too much attention. We have started serving salad with our meals which helps bc she loves lettuce with "dip" (dressing.). We let her dip her other veggies in there and too and even meat if she'll do it. It has helped a bit. I'm making turkey tertrazzini tonight and...
We started chapter books about 6 months ago, and it's so fun!! We like Junie B Jones and Junie B First Grader (the character is kind of a snot, but we discuss that.). I find them hysterical. Magic Treehouse Cam Jansen Rainbow Fairies and Rescue Princesses. These are fluff books, but my 5yo adores them and spends all her free time reading them. I think it's important to follow their passions, and after one of these that we read together, I try to get in a Little House...
I just realized about a month ago that I am technically financially dependent upon my husband. I had been teaching part time on and off online since my oldest was born, but that had basically trickled down to nothing. I guess I don't feel financially dependent upon him because to me that would imply that I couldn't take care of myself. My profession is that of a community college English professor, so I am not qualified to make as much as he does, but I do believe I...
I'm all for writing workshops. I've been a college English instructor for 12 years, and they spend a lot of time writing in class while I walk around and help, answer questions, etc. But if you are talking about a traditional jr or high school class that is 30-45 minutes long, it could take them weeks to write a single paper if they did it all in class. And in regards to science etc, if they spent all their class time reading, they wouldn't have any time for discussion...
One big benefit to homework is that you can really see how much a child has learned when they have to complete exercises hours after the lesson, on their own. I also think it can help uninvolved parents get more involved. My dd is in half day kindergarten. She has maybe 5 minutes of homework maybe twice a week, and I think that's just stuff the full day kids do, and her teacher sends it home to keep the half day kids up to speed. But in k, I don't think it's...
My dd is in half day parochial kindergarten and it works wonderfully. The only downfall is that half her class is full day so she gets jealous a bit. Nice considered switching her but she still takes long naps, she just turned 5, and I don't believe she's ready not do I believe it's necessary to switch her. Kids at her school do switch all the time though. If she's still jealous after Christmas, we'll probably consider switching her.
I would absolutely love option a, but that works about once every millennium for me. So then I aim for option two and that gets a little better results working about once every ten days. Our standard is for me to get stuff done when they are asleep although by then I'm often so tired that it gets put off until tomorrow and the cycle begins anew.
You might want to check out Etsy for wool covers. They usually have a lot that are up cycled from old wool covers. I've never looked at the prices (I knit my own,) but sure they must be cheaper than Grovia. Unfortunately the hand knit once are usually expensive even on etsy.