or Connect

Posts by svea

Hey everyone,   I'm doing a MA in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with a focus in maternal health. Currently I'm doing research into swaddling -- why some parents do and some parents don't. If you have a few minutes, I would so greatly appreciate your filling out this short questionnaire (it takes less than 10 minutes). Thank you!     The blurb:   Do you swaddle? Why or why not? An MA Candidate at the Goddard College (VT) Master's Program in Psychology...
Hi everyone,   I'm a full-time mom and full-time student (not sure how that works out!), and I'm doing research on swaddling practices. Like most practices in the traditionally female domain, it's seriously under-researched. If we knew more about it we could provide better care for mothers and infants. If you have a moment, I hope you will contribute to this study by filling out the survey I designed. It takes less than 10 minutes and will help to contribute to this...
I really love the idea of a documentary about AP. What's really fascinating to me, though, is your experience with being an AP mama in the army. Maybe that could be a secondary focus for the piece...?   Please keep me updated on this project -- I would love to pitch in in whatever way when the time comes!   svea.boyda.vikander@gmail.com   Svea
Hey everyone,   I just moved to SF with my husband and our 10 month-old. I've found the city very friendly and fun -- but I have yet to figure out where to meet the moms: most of the caregivers on the playground are nannies and so far most of the people I share interests with are young and single. Which is great, but I'd love to meet someone who's also covered in spit-up, you know? Basically, I miss my Montreal support network so much! Do you have any suggestions for...
A ring sling might be cooler... Plus, it's OK to dress your baby a little less warmly than you would if he/she were in a stroller. People never seem to understand how much body heat babies get when they're being carried! You'll know if he/she gets cold.   I found I was almost always overheated in the first few months after birth. I'm not sure why but I think it was hormonal -- it was the middle of a Montreal winter and I was happy with a light fall jacket!
:)   Just as a side note -- I've found babywearing has helped my posture sooo much. Espec with the ring-sling, I have to stand up straight and use my shoulders for him to be able to sit + balance properly (we do a side hip carry). And of course my back muscles get stronger as he gets heavier. Side benefit!
I agree with other posters -- I would stay away from the Bjorn, front-facing carries in the Moby, and anything that doesn't allow the hips to be in a relaxed position (I think of the best way to carry as analogous to the fetal position -- legs relaxed and supported, knees bent and drawn up slightly to the chest). I would also stay away from tightly swaddling the baby in extended position (e.g. legs straight down). That's the tradition in Turkey and may lead to their...
My husband (DH? I'm new here) wears the baby. I think he likes it -- we have a couple of strollers and he finds it easier than using them. We started with a Moby, tried out some SSCs and then ended up with a couple gender-neutral ring slings. We are both on board with the Attachment Parenting philosophy/approach, so that's part of it. Explaining the reasoning behind it and showing him the studies behind it (he's a scientist) helped with that. But babywearing also makes...
Ugh. As someone very much familiar with Batshit Crazy Ex's, I totally commiserate. :-S   The thing that stands out to me (and I was thinking about your post as I gave my 9 month old a bath!) is that you don't seem to be taking/being given the primary place in your family. It doesn't sound like there's a sense that YOU are here to STAY. Which, I think, you are. ;)   What follows is some advice. Please don't take it if it doesn't resonate with you. I'm projecting a...
Agreed. I always feel like superwoman when I nurse in the ring sling. Especially when I'm walking down the street and half the people look amazed, the other half scandalized. It's the babywearing revolution!