or Connect

Posts by CelloMomCars

Americans do drive guzzlers (on average). I'm just saying that even those Americans who lust after a nice European-style gas sipper, couldn't buy one because they're not on offer. Interesting to see how consumer "choice" is always smaller than the manufacturers would have you believe.   And if the price of gas were to suddenly go up to $20, it would break many families' budgets (see previous comments in this thread). We'd like it differently, but the reality is that we...
Nobody in the world beats the US EPA for accuracy in reporting cars' fuel efficiency! When I looked around, I found that MPG on the Prius is reported as 50mpg in the US (correctly), 60 mpg in Europe, and it used to be called an improbable 83 mpg in Japan, until they changed the test cycle. Is why Europeans have sites like HonestJohn.co.uk where you can look up the real life fuel efficiency. Bless him, I use Honest John all the time for my blog!   As for WHY we have so...
First the bad news: Gasoline is at nearly $4 now, and oil is around $110 a barrel. But it's increasingly difficult to get that oil out of the ground (drilling in the Arctic is expensive; refining tar sands is expensive), so the price of oil is only going to go up. I've read that the cost to develop a new field runs around $100 a barrel - and then the oil company has to make its profit. So personally, I'm not counting on the price of gas to go down in the long run.   The...
Heavy curtains in front of the windows can help a lot. Buy them used to save $$. Ours would keep the room tolerably warm while the ice piled up on the inside of the windows. Also, if you can figure out where exactly it's leaking you might be able to caulk around the window or apply foam strips to stop the leaks.
What you can smell is mostly phthalates, the additives used to make plastics soft and bendable: for fabrics, synthetic carpeting, foam, furniture stuffing.  And yes, it's a hormone disruptor.  Like Tabitha says, air it as often as you can until that "new" smell goes away. Air the car often. For the next one, sniff before you buy. Or buy well ahead of when you'll need it, and air it.  Good luck!
You are right, JudiAU, knowing about gas sippers that aren't for sale here does you no good right now (I so get your frustration). But it might make all the difference for the cars 5-10 years down the line if car makers hear from us that yes, we want to buy sippers. Sort of like being the first woman in medical school, or at MIT: people looked at them like they were not from this planet.  But those first women, even the ones who never did finish their degrees in those...
Sorry to hear that JudyAU! - you know they do have 7-seat Priuses, hope they will come to the US soon. Or you can start badgering your Toyota dealer about it so it comes sooner! (First they will tell you that Toyota doesn't make such a monster.  But they do: check it out here: http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/frame_start.jsp?id=CC2-Prius-Plus-landing. If it's a monster, it's a pretty monster. Then they will tell you that US safety regulations won't allow it,...
Here's a list of car seats complete with measurements. And I saw a Volvo booster seat, 15 inches wide. Not cheap; but less expensive than buying a new car.  If you must buy a new car, look for one where the back seat is flat: it's much easier to distribute three car seats when the seat bottom isn't sculpted like the Rockies.
In Sweden, the Volvo S60 comes in 9 different engine/drivetrain versions. Only two of those are all-wheel drive. See table in this post: http://www.cellomomcars.com/2012/02/how-to-buy-gas-sipper-for-less.html   If Swedes can do without AWD in hilly Sweden, you can do without in flat Denver (Boulder may be a different story).  It _is_ important to go with front wheel drive, not rear-wheel. Make sure NOT to get the plus-sized wheels (bigger rims, wider tire...
They do exist. There is quite a bit of choice, actually. Unfortunately, those options are not offered in the US. I don't know why. You can shrug, buy a big mommyvan, and pay a lot in gas. Or you could start bothering your dealer to start selling you the gas-sipping 7-seaters some of us moms could really use. I have a post with a list of 7-seaters that do more than 30 mpg: http://www.cellomomcars.com/2012/06/so-you-want-seven-seat-car-that-does.html